Monday, March 28, 2011

Preschool Activity: Painting Squares

The other day while browsing the aisles of my local Dollar Tree, I spied one lonely sink mat sitting on the shelf. So I picked it up, put it in my cart and knew I’d figure out something to do with it---well, besides putting it in the sink! :)

I have been trying to be more intentional to include time each week to experiment with different art techniques. Since my toddler and preschooler have been working on patterns and shapes, I thought that using the sink mat as a stencil would be a fun project to try.

preschool art supplies 
Supplies:

checkerboard sink mat or stencil
child-friendly paints
foam rollers or foam pouncer/daubers
masking tape
watercolor paper or cardstock

preschool art: masking

Place the piece of watercolor paper onto the table. Line up the stencil and tape the edges down. Then tape (mask) every other row.

preschool art: rolling paint

Have your child pick one color and roll/paint over the surface of the grid, making sure the exposed squares are painted.

preschool art: more paint

Next tape over the row of squares that were previously painted. Remove the tape from the rows that need to be painted. Pick a coordinating color and paint.

preschool art: square art

Remove all the tape and unveil your square masterpiece! You can leave it as is, or use it as a background for another art project.

Extensions:
-- Use Unifix cubes or other objects to make pattern trains.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

I love quick, simple projects that turn out eye-popping results. This would be great for kids like my son who have a fascination with patterns.

March 28, 2011 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a wonderful project. I am glad the sink mat found a home!

March 28, 2011 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ya know, I have seen those mats at The Dollar Tree, and thought "What could I do with these?" Now I know! Thanks! :0)

March 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great idea :) I will have to try this with my "wee" ones for sure!

March 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great fun! Love how this turned out :-)

March 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

LOL! Yes, why use something the way it was intended? I thought that the mat could also be used for weaving, since the holes are really big for toddlers. Might have to try that too.

March 28, 2011 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Susana said...

I love this! You always have the best ideas and are so creative!

LOVE your new blog look too-it is so streamlined and cohesive!

March 28, 2011 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMGosh! I just had this same mat in my hands at the Dollar Tree last week thinking about buying it for a preschool weaving project. I put it back, though. I might have to reconsider. So creative!

March 29, 2011 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks re: the blog re-do. I've been wanting to make it look less cluttered for awhile. Finally got around to doing it! ;)

March 30, 2011 at 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home