Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Daily Word Problems

EvanMoorDailyWordProblems

When I was in 4th grade, I remember my teacher giving us a word problem booklet that had to be completed each week. I would break out in a sweat just looking at the book. It caused me a lot of stress. I don’t want my kids to feel that way about word problems. More importantly, I want my kids to see how word problems relate to every day life and have the confidence to solve them (without sweating). So I happily agreed to look over Daily Word Problems Grade 3 by Evan Moor.

EvanMoorDailyWordProblems3 
I used this book with my 9yr. old and also did some problems each week with the 11yr. old for review.

The book is made up of printable daily word problems that span 36 weeks. Each week is organized around a theme (you can see we were working on the cat theme page below.)

EvanMoorDailyWordProblems2

At the beginning of the week, most of the problems require one or two steps. On Friday, the challenge problem often has multiple steps or requires other math skills such as reading a graph or discovering patterns.

Math skills practiced include:

  • addition and subtraction facts
  • multiplication and division facts
  • multidigit addition and subtraction with and without regrouping
  • multiplication with and without regrouping
  • division with and without remainders
  • telling time
  • money
  • fractions
  • reading and interpreting graphs and charts
  • geometry logic problems

A preview of the book is available to help you get a better idea of what this book contains.

mathmanupulatives

What We Thought:

This fit in perfectly with our math needs this year. Having just a problem a day to do did not overwhelm my 9yr. old. Many times I would read the problem  and my daughter would work it on the dry-erase board. She was free to draw or use math manipulatives to help figure out the problem.  Sometimes my 11yr. old would join us and it was interesting to see the different ways both kids worked the problem. This gave me the opportunity to show how there are different ways to approach a problem and still get the same answer. We will continue using this book alongside our current math program.

If you are looking for this math series or other homeschool curriculum ideas, check out the free catalog from Timberdoodle.

 

Disclosure:  As a member of Timberdoodle's Blogger Review Team I received the products listed above for free in exchange for a frank and unbiased review.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ticia said...

I remember loving the Problem of the Day series back when I was teaching. I'm struggling with using it for my homeschool because of price. I had no problem with the price when I was teaching because I'd use it again and again year after year, but the $20 seems a lot more for one year, which is so silly.

March 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Right now it is $12.95 at Timeberdoodle.

March 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home