Thursday, March 10, 2011

Toddlers and Preschool Doctor and Nurses Day

playing doctor

This week in our toddler/preschool co-op class we talked about doctors and nurses. The kids dressed up like doctors, took each other’s blood pressure, and listened to hearts. We also did some fun doctor-theme crafts and projects.

ladywith thealligatorpurse

The Lady with the Alligator Purse

Our main book was a bit unconventional for a doctor theme, but it was the only one I had on hand. I figured it mentioned both a doctor and a nurse, so it would work! This actually turned out to be a great pick to introduce our topic. Since it is a short book, I read it first, then I told the kids that it is a song. So we went through the book again while I taught them the song. They loved it and soon could repeat portions of the book with me!

drmatchgame

I always divide our group in half after our story-time. Half of the group played a doctor-themed shadow match game, worked on tracing practice, and played with the doctor dress-up costume.

drtracingpractice

I laminated the tracing pages and figured out that regular crayons work just like dry-erase crayons on this laminating paper. (These tracing pages and the shadow-match game are from the Doctor and Nurses Preschool Pack from Homeschool Creations.)

drkit

The other half of the group worked on making their own doctor kit. I borrowed this doctor kit craft idea from Jolanthe---I thought it was so clever!

drkit2

Before class I made the doctor bags from construction paper.  Then the kids glued various items into their kit.

drkitinside 

I printed some of the items from the Doctor & Nurses preschool pack and used them in here (the Bible verse and the medicine bottle). Then we added some cotton balls, Q-tips, tongue depress0r (I only had foam ones on hand) and a band-aid. They turned out so cute!

doctorkit 

I made this to easily print-off and use on the front of our kit. Feel free to use it.

Other Doctor and Nurse Resources:
Doctor and Nurse coloring page
Doctor and Nurse Preschool Pack

Linking to:
stART : A Mommy's Adventures
Read. Learn. Explore.
Preschool Corner

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Those doctor kits are precious!

March 11, 2011 at 5:41 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I love the craft, everything is so adorable. Thank you for sharing!

March 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the doctors kit. Books with song are such fun. Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

March 11, 2011 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Christina AKA SuperMom said...

We are working on letter D this week! How perfect!

-having a giveaway! http://treehugginmomma.blogspot.com/2011/03/we-having-giveaway.html

March 12, 2011 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Elle Belles Bows said...

I love the doctors kits! Great idea!

Kerri

March 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home