Thursday, February 24, 2011

Get Your Pretzels!

I enjoy a good, hot pretzel every-now-and-then. Usually I have to go to church to get one (don't all churches sell pretzels? ;) ) or a baseball game. Well the other day my mom had a day off of work and came over to my house. This is a big treat for us -- especially me. I enjoy another set of hands around the house during the day to help with the kids. She came in carrying a bowl of sour-dough starter and the ingredients to make homemade pretzels.

mixingpretzelsYes, we were still in our pajamas when Grandma came over. The three girls (well it looks like the 2yr. old was feeling a little left out) mixed the dough.

mixingpretzels2 It’s harder than it looks to mix that dough. My 9yr. old did a good job. After all the mixing, the dough was left to rise.

pretzels2 After several hours, the dough was ready to be made into pretzels!  (See, we are out of our pj’s!)

rollingpretzelsThis particular child liked to bury her pretzel dough in flour. Not sure how well this one turned out—lol.

pretzels  This pretzel is ready to take a dip in hot water and baking soda.

pretzelbath This is an important step in the pretzel-making process. Who knew? I learned some new things right along with my kids.

finishedpretzelOne of our finished pretzels! Yes, it looks like a donut. There is an art to pretzel-dough-folding and we haven’t mastered it yet. It doesn’t matter----we loved the end result not matter what it looked like :)

This was a treat for me. I appreciate my mom planning this whole activity and doing it with my children. I was able to sit back and tend to other things while my kids were busy making memories and learning a new skill.  Since I did not make this myself, I have no idea what recipe she used, but it does seem like this buttery soft pretzel recipe is very similar.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Corrie said...

So, now you need to read "Walter the Baker" by Eric Carle.

February 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

I've never heard of that book! I"ll have to look and see if our library has it.

February 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Merit Kirkpatrick said...

Wow - this post really makes me want to try this with my bakers. It looked yummy to me & like they all had fun!

February 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Laura O in AK said...

I'm thinking homemade pretzels will need to happen in our house soon. This is the second post I've seen in the past week.

Stopping by as I crawl through the TOS Crew Blogs and I'm now following, too. (Although I thought I was already following you...)

February 26, 2011 at 1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home