Saturday, February 19, 2011

Space Theme in Preschool Co-op

My family is involved in a weekly homeschool co-op and I love that I get to be the toddler/preschool teacher. I have 6 students ages 2-4. This week I decided to revisit the space/astronaut theme that I did with my girls at home.

I always start out with a book. Our first book that we read was

 

 On the Moon by Anna Milbourne

Then we did a a couple songs and rhymes. First we sang “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

5astronautsThen we sang “Five Astronauts Went out to Play.” You can find this printable  in my ABC section  under Aa is for astronaut.

matchinggame After singing time, I had the students break out into small groups and work on individual activities. Some did a vocabulary match. These are words found in the book. I printed and laminated one page to be the control card, and then printed the second page and cut it up. You can download this from Homeschool Creation’s Astronaut Preschool Pack.

spacematchingSome students worked on a shadow matching game, also found in the Astronaut Preschool Pack from Homeschool Creations. We  played with blue Playdoh, but I forgot to take pictures of that activity.

About half-way through the class (after snack etc.) We sat down for another book.

constellationsConstellations: A Glow-in-the-Dark Guide to the Night Sky

I didn’t read this book, but rather showed them some of the glow-in –the-dark constellations. They loved it! I talked about how sometimes groups of stars remind us of pictures. Then we looked at the picture and noted where the stars were on the picture. Next we turned off the lights --I thought they’d be a little afraid, but they loved seeing the stars glow!

planetsorderAfter showing the constellations, we talked about other things we see in the sky. Then I laid out photos of the 8 planets (something I got when I was a 1st grade teacher) and planet sequence cards from 1+1+1=1’s Solar System Preschool Pack. We counted the planets. We talked about which planet we live on. We pointed out which was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. planets. Then we sang a planets song:

There are eight planets in our solar system
There are eight planets in our solar system
Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars
Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
There are eight planets in our solar system.
(sung to “She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain”)

Click the photo to download a printable version.

planetsong 
starpunch

After that, we went back to the tables to do a pin-push activity. I saw this idea at Counting Coconuts (btw, she has a lot more space ideas on her site)  and knew the kids would love it. I cut some pieces of foam-core board  and then printed individual constellations.  The students used jumbo push-pins to mark a hole on the stars in the constellation. This was a hit!

Whew!  After all of that, some kids colored and others had time for some free-play. There are still so many cool space ideas that I have bookmarked that I might just stretch this theme out for another week! :)

More space-themed resources:

Aa is for Astronaut from Totally Tots
Living Montessori Now space-theme post part 1
Living Montessori Now space-theme post part 2
M&M constellations & Oreo cookie moon phases

Tot School

preschool corner

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute study!!! I love all your ideas!

February 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! I'm stopping by from the TOS Crew to let you know that your blog is on this week's Blog Walk.

February 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger Carisa said...

Good grief! Here I thought I had all of my ideas printed and ready to begin on Monday, now I need t print and laminate another awesome song! ;-)

February 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

What a cool thing...a homeschool co-op. Great theme by the way!

February 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The constellation book and activity look wonderful. JDaniel would love them.

February 20, 2011 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Ticia said...

What a great space unit. Maybe this summer we'll revisit space. One of my boys is a space fanatic.

February 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a great unit! We've also learned about the solar system over the past few weeks. I really like the song!

February 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger i cant decide said...

Hi, I'm visiting from the crew blogwalk.

February 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM  
Blogger Teaching Heart Mom said...

Love this idea and theme...
Just gave you the stylish blogger award. http://teachingheartmom.blogspot.com/

February 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Elle Belles Bows said...

Great week! I am definitely going to check out the first book. Thanks for sharing your printables too! Kerri

February 20, 2011 at 11:44 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

What a great theme! I'll have to keep this one in mind. :)

February 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

My dd is in love with rockets and astronauts - I am definitely going to look for that constellation book. I am also hoping to plan a trip to the Kenneday Space Center soon.

February 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

You are so creative. I love all of your ideas, I may have to use a few when we study letter A or S. Thanks for stopping by my blog =)

February 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger Jackie Higgins said...

This looks so fun! My son loves rockets so this would be a fun extension for him. Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas.

February 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lots of great ideas (as usual)!

Thank you for participating in last week's High paw! Looking forward to see your new ideas so please stop by and add them! :)

February 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home