Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Keepers of the Faith: Home Decorating Badge

It was my turn last month to teach the badge at our Keepers of the Faith group. We chose the Home Decorating Badge. I find this a bit funny since my home is far from my idea of a well-decorated home. I mean I have well-decorated walls---decorated with crayon drawings,  fingerprints and scratches. Not exactly what you see on HGTV. :) But I knew I was qualified to speak to the girls about caring for their space and giving some general design principles.

The first thing I had to decide was what our project would be. I needed it to be budget-friendly, easy, flexible, useful, and something girls ages 6-12 could do . That was quite a tall order for a project! The Keepers Book recommended wall art. Well the easiest wall art I could think of was to alter something! I used to love altering things: altered composition books, altered letters, altered clothespins, altered clipboards, ---you name it and I've probably altered it. I finally decided on foam core board. It was on sale, easy to customize, and budget-friendly.

wallartsupplies
Supplies:
foam core board pieces
pattern paper
Mod Podge
foam brushes
paper cutter
Exacto-knife and glass mat
scissors
foam stamps
white and black paint.

Use in Mod Podge in light coats. Start on one side of the foam core board and then place one edge of the paper down, Lightly add more coats across the foam core board until all the paper is down. Don't worry if your paper hangs off the edge---you can trim that up. If there are bubbles, you can carefully rub it out---but most likely the bubbles will disappear some after drying.

easywallart

You can stamp some pieces, add extra embellishments, Mod Podge a photo on top, etc. For this class we kept it simple and the girls were told they could add more once they were home. I actually wanted the girls to see that sometimes something pretty simple when put in a collection can have a big effect.

The ironic thing is after all this planning, I ended up being sick and was not able to teach the class. Another mom volunteered to do this project with our group. She told me the girls loved doing the project and had lots of fun coming up with their own designs. Since I had to type up my notes for my sub., I thought that maybe someone else might find it useful too. My samples did however, end up looking very nice on our homeschool room wall. :)

Click to download instructions






Tip Junkie handmade projects

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

You're definitely right, simple can make a huge difference. I love the color and patterns that you chose.

Visiting from Tip Junkie!

http://emergingaswoman.blogspot.com/

February 22, 2011 at 1:19 AM  
Blogger JayneJeane said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I can't wait to share this with my crafty daughter!

February 22, 2011 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The uses of scrapbook paper and mod podge really are never ending! This is such a great Idea, and will definitely come in handy when we makeover our daughter's room. Thanks for sharing.

http://sugartartcrafts.blogspot.com/

February 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Ticia said...

Very cute, I'm thinking about getting my kids started in these in a little bit.

February 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM  
Blogger the Mcclanahan 7 said...

What a good idea, I have so many pieces of scrapbook paper that I love. I could use some for this.
I'm stopping by on the blog walk.

February 22, 2011 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

You know what's funny is that whenever I get scrapbook paper, it's always just too pretty to cut up! Lol, so it just sits in a drawer looking pretty for no one to see. This would be such a neat way to use it!

February 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home