Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Feathered-Friend Craft

feathersforlunch
  
Feathers for Lunch is a perfect book to introduce nature to little ones. Lois Ehlert has a wonderful way of crafting the illustrations, and she pairs the real name of 12 birds along with their pictures in this book. After reading it, my girls and I went to our window to see if we could find any of the birds that were listed in the book. Then we made our own feathered-friend.

birdcraft2
Supplies:

birdcraft1 
First trace the student’s hand onto craft foam or construction paper and cut out.

birdcraft3

Then put glue all over the hand cut-out.

birdcraft4
Next place feathers all over the hand cut-out.

birdcraft5  
Cut a circle out of a coordinating color of fun foam or cardstock. Adhere on top of  the feathers.

birdcraft6  
Add wiggly-eyes and a triangle beak. 

A simple, easy, feathered – friend! Head over to Totally Tots to see what else we did during our Ff is for feathers week.


Check out our ABC Printables page for past themes.


For More Book/Craft ideas see:
stART : A Mommy's Adventures
Read. Learn. Explore.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Candace @Naturally Educational said...

So adorable! They are having a great time, huh? Love projects that involve different textures!

March 16, 2011 at 1:12 PM  
Anonymous maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Very cute! I love the dimensionality of the project!

March 16, 2011 at 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

My kids absolutely love playing with feathers! And tracing their hands is another favorite activity. This sounds like a ton of fun!

March 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Richele McFarlin said...

That's great! My five year old loves birds!

March 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Madonna said...

Too cute! I love it! How cute would those be turned into napkin rings! You would have a festive table setting!

March 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger BookChook said...

Anything I've ever seen of Lois Ehlert books has had me drooling. Beautiful illustrations, and your feather friend is a perfect companion!

(Richele, Madonna's right! these would make great napkin rings for your garden party! )

March 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Karelessly in Love said...

I must say that you are one of the most creative homeschoolers I've seen (though to be fair, there must be so many others out there I am not aware of). I can't wait you to get to z so that I have all the alphabet crafts!

By the way, how long do you homeschool your toddler (2yo?) a day? My 28 months girl can only take 1 hour the most. All seated down.

March 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

@Karelessly in Love

Thanks!I'm hoping my creativity lasts for the whole alphabet--lol!

I would guess that I homeschool my toddler about an hour a day too. We don't do everything at once. We'll read a book for a few minutes, then she might go play w/ her sister. Then we'll sit and do another activity for another 15min. and so on. I try to mix up the activities too so that if we've just worked at the table, then we move to an activity on the floor (or outside) etc.

March 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What wonderful birds! They are super cute! Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

March 18, 2011 at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home