Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Too Many Shoes --WFMW

This is a repost of an article I published this past summer. I wanted to update it with how this shoe system is working for us now that it is winter. I still love the whole crate system! It really has helped our family keep our shoe clutter under control. For this winter we have basically kept up with the system except we don't put our boots in the crate. They are lined up against the wall by the door (I didn't want melting snow to mess up other shoes.) Each kid (usually) puts their gloves, hats and scarf in their shoe crate. This is the first winter where I'm not going crazy either trying to find snow-gear, or finding it all over the house. I've also added two laundry baskets. One outside in the garage next to the shoe crates and one inside the house next to the door.

 

Yes, it's not pretty nor does it look very organized but it is working for us! This is the first winter I'm not tripping over snow pants, boots, hats mittens, and winter coats! In the past I have purchased at least 4 wall coat-hooks. The coats never made it on the hooks. Or they would fall off. It just wasn't working. So a friend mentioned that when her kids were toddlers, she just put a basket in the coat closet for them to put their coats in. I thought that was a great idea! At first I used the basket only for the two little ones. But the older kids found it much easier to just throw their stuff in the basket too (which is why I have now have 2 baskets).  It doesn't look pretty, but it is keeping all the stuff off the floor.  So I'm happy. :)

Original blog post:


With seven members in this family, I often feel like we are over-run with shoes. Not only that, but several members, who will go unnamed, like to not put on socks while wearing their shoes. Oh.the.stink!

So after having to endure another round of trying to get out of the house but can't because no one can find their shoes, I decided we needed a new shoe system.

We have tried:

--shoe racks--kids had a hard time understanding that they are not for standing on or climbing.

--shoe cubbies
--a unit that has individual slots for pairs of shoes. I thought this would work so I put it in the laundry room where we come in and throw our shoes. Each kid was given one whole row to put their shoes away. They never did. The cubbie holes went too deep, or it was too hard for them to put both pairs in the same slot--always some excuse. The shoes ended up on the floor, usually buried under dirty clothes, while the shoe cubbie unit held old shoes, missing shoes or other odds and ends.

--one big basket
---no one could find their shoes.

--in their own closet
--now you think this one would have worked, but nope, it didn't. Basically wherever they took their shoes off is where their shoes ended up.

So now we are trying the shelf/crate system:

I know, so original. I decided that we are going to take our shoes off before coming in the house. The added benefit for me is not having to smell those horribly stinky gym shoes. Each kid was given their own crate. The older 3 have their own shelf to also put whatever junk belongs to them in addition to their shoe crate.

I just couldn't stop there. The blank space on the front of the crate was begging for something, so I decided to go through my digital scrapbooking supplies and make crate labels. [In Photoshop open a new canvas 5.5 x 2.5" at 300dpi]

Doesn't it look so nice and tidy? And because it's in a crate, I don't even mind that there is a football in with the shoes. All I see is the cute label. :) Like his cheesy smile? It was a toss-up between this picture and one that looked like he was mad as all get out. Gone are those days where he would willing pose for a picture.


I'm highly optimistic that this system will work for my family. One week and counting...trying to hit 21 days to make it a habit. :)

For other Works for Me Wednesday Ideas click here
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey Maureen! We just went to Carlsbad for Kristyne's shower, and Tanya told me you were blogging again. It looks good! I love your crate idea. I wish I could convince my bunch to take off their shoes in the house. It sure would be easier to keep it clean.

August 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger TheAtticGirl said...

Wow, you are such an organized mama! We just kick off our shoes by the door. It does tend to be annoying when I have to line up all the shoes, and there's only 3 of us! I really like how you used those little bins.

August 5, 2009 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Alicia W. said...

I'm so loving this idea! your a genius!!!

August 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Fiddledeedee said...

Oh, this is good. The area next to our front door is affectionately called the "Croc Graveyard." Crocs everywhere. I've got to get shelves like this for the little closet next to the front door. And then threaten all these people that I live with to USE IT! :)

August 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger Clean and Classic Interiors said...

What a great idea! I love the picture cards that go with it! I just recently posted about a shoe organization system but I'm filing this one away for inspiration. Actually, I need to do an inspiration post on storage and I would love to use this!

August 5, 2009 at 8:41 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

I love your labels, makes it so easy for the kids to keep up, takes the guess work out of where their things go!! you are so creative, maureen!!!

August 6, 2009 at 1:38 AM  
Anonymous Theta Mom said...

You are so organized AND creative! What a powerful combination! :)

August 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Found you through Theta Mom! There are only 4 of us and I have to tell you I just love love this idea:)

August 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger Niki Jolene said...

Super idea! I should give it a whirl because I am forever tripping over shoes (not mine either).

August 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Good luck with the crates - they look great! The labels are the perfect touch!

February 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I love this! I have been searching for a shoe organization solution for so long. I think I have finally found a winner. Thanks!

August 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home