Thursday, January 14, 2010

Snowflake Bentley


picture by Michael


I had been contemplating purchasing several Download N Go curriculum sets by Amanda Bennett for my 2nd grader. My 6th grader and 4th grader are currently doing Sonlight Core3, which we are enjoying immensely, but even though my 2nd grader tags along, many things are not at her level. Since I know that I cannot do two Cores at one time, I was wondering if these mini-units would be helpful. After reading Carisa's post on 1+1+1=1 regarding the Download N Go, I decided to purchase a couple and see how it goes.

We started the Winter Wonders unit this week. Each unit is designed to last one week, but we are going to cover it in 2. I set up my dd's notebook similar to Carisa, except I have the materials divided out by day so that we know where to stop (each day in the unit is spread out over 2 days in my notebook).  I also typed out a vocabulary/book/craft list for each day so that my daughter knows which vocab. words to do for the day, which library book to read and if there are any other project to do.


All this to say, we love it so far! My dd is loving working one-on-one with me right now. She's enjoying doing her own special work. Today we read and learned about Snowflake Bentley. He was the first person to photograph snowflakes. We were amazed at the beauty of each ice crystal. My dd was totally fascinated with all the photos. I was learning right along with her. I'd never heard of Snowflake Bentley before. We watched videos, looked at pictures on-line and read a book about him. Then we spent sometime making our own virtual snowflakes---this was a little addicting. :)

Here are some other resources that we've added to the unit for today and tomorrow:
Creating a Real Crystal Snowflake --see photo above
Snowflakes-Early Reader Printable Book from Enchanted Learning
Dave's Snowflake Patterns
Snowflake Match by Confessions of a Homeschooler

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

We're on the same wave length. I am working on Snowflake Bentley with my 2nd grader-we're making our Borax Snowflakes this weekend (b/cuz I keep forgetting to get the borax!), the snowflake book on Enchanted, and the lapbook components from Homeschool Share on Snowflake Bentley. Plus, I am reviewing something for TOS that has some info on snow/snowflakes too. Fun, fun. I was hoping to come across some of those lacy snowflake cookies that are all powder sugary too. Plus, the boy can roll in the snow all day and nite if he wants cuz there is a bunch of that outside our door. I am going to check out those other links you posted too-thanks!

January 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Mark and Wendy said...

I've contemplated the Download N Go units from TOS...glad to know you like them!

January 14, 2010 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger Mark and Wendy said...

And I think I somehow neglected to publish my comment on school planning...did you see it?

January 14, 2010 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I've followed your blog for a while. Love it! This looks like a fun unit!
Your student might also like this site with awesome snowflake photographs:
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/photos/photos.htm
And this fun site lets you use your mouse to cut snowflakes on-line:
http://www.popularfront.com/snowdays/

January 16, 2010 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

We decided to also purchase these for my younger crowd of A's. Also after reading the 1+1+1=1 post!!! Thanks for all these links. I am also slowing it down a bit. Not sure yet if one day will take us two or if one will take us 3... still deciding. We made those snowflakes over Christmas, it was tons of fun. They are actually still hanging by our window, they are too cute to throw out. Atleast while it's still snowing, outside!!

January 27, 2010 at 2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home