Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Maps and Coloring

 

We are on year 2 of Sonlight Core 3-- American History. Yes, it's normally a 1yr. program but we had many off-topic weeks, special projects, and just plain off weeks. It has taken us a little longer to get through than I intially had planned, but that's ok. We were just ending the American Revolution when I remembered that I had won a Time Travelers: The Early 19th Century History Study from Homeschool in the Woods.  I pulled it out and was thrilled to see that it covered everything we were getting ready to study. This history study has projects, lapbooking elements, map-work, crafts and more. There is a lot there! Be sure to check out the site where it describes in detail what all is in this unit.

This was exactly what we needed to get out of our history rut. Don't get me wrong--I love the Sonlight books, but we needed to switch it up a little. We'll be supplementing many of the projects into the rest of our American History unit and adding all the notebooking and lapbooking elements into our History binder.

 

Today we did some map-work. We haven't done much of that in the past, other than looking places up on our markable map. My kids loved it. My son even commented on how he liked doing work like this.

 

We even little littlest DD "color" her own map. Ok, it wasn't a map but she doesn't know that. She thinks she was doing school work just like her big brother and sister.

 

I think we'll incorporate more map-work in our curriculum. And if I do that, I'm going to be getting a set of Prismacolor pencils. I used to use them all the time when I was really into paper arts. They blended well and were easy to use for detailed work. The pencils we used today worked ok, but the kids would try to sharpen them in order to color in tiny spaces and the tips kept breaking off. They could never get them to a fine enough point for some of the more detailed coloring they needed to do.
So I am happy to be on track with history again, and am looking forward to finishing Sonlight Core 3 well instead of just getting it done--lol.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

3 things I like about what you pointed out:
1st-HS in the Woods project packs like you have-excellent company with excellent hands on material
2nd-Prismacolor pencils, simply the best material for color pencil applications-love em. I have my younger ones use the cheaper ones, but as they gain age/skills, adding the Prismacolors is a must in my opinion.
3rd-Sonlight. Excellent program, but you do need to add in some things, as they are heavy on literature, etc. but low on hands-on, creative activities-esp. for the younger Core levels. Excellent way to get a good mix and not lose your "marbles"! LOL
Have a good one!

February 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks for chimming in Sheri! I think my kids were starting to tune me out whenever I started to read, so I really felt like I needed to have something concrete for them to do along with our books.

February 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

Wow, that kit looks fabulous!

We've been using Native American History Pockets, Life in Plymouth Colony History Pockets, and Knowledge Quest maps to supplement core 3. It's been lots of fun.

But we might have to try that series for next year. Way cool! Thanks.

February 4, 2010 at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home