Sunday, January 17, 2010

I Hate Math

I really hate math. I know it is because when I was in school, that was the one subejct area I struggled with greatly. I remember in 8th grade I switched schools and I was so lost in math. What my classmates were learning was the opposite schedule from my old school. I missed a lot of foundational information that year and never caught up. Thus I began to think that I was just stupid in math. Now that I'm older, I realize that was not the case, but I still have math mental blocks. It is not the subject area that I feel confident teaching my children. I'm more likely to second-guess myself when it comes to math. I don't want my kids to feel this way. So I'm working to change it.

Jimmie, from Jimmie's Collage has been posting many very informative articles about living math and math notebooking.  Her article Transitioning to Living Math tells how she ditched the workbooks (well kind of) and moved toward the Living Math approach.





I have been incorporating one of the transition steps Jimmie mentions in her article-- adding more math games to our school day. I want my kids to see math as fun, not as a dreaded subject. I figured the best way to do that is to play with them. For my older two kids, we have started playing with ThinkFun Math Dice. ThinkFun has a free manual that you can download. I printed mine and had it bound w/ a plastic comb at the local printing shop. There are a lot of different games in the book to use with the Math Dice. There is even tournament competition if you wanted to set that up with a co-op or math club.




So for now we're trying to infuse some fun into our math program. That's the first step. I plan to start adding in living books and math notebooking. So hopefully you'll see a few more math-related posts from me in the upcoming months. Who knows, maybe you'll even see a post about how much I love math. :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Ticia said...

Get the Math Start books, those are awesome! Some of them don't do as great a job to my mind for the topic they're covering, but Monster Musical Chairs is a great one for subtraction of one.

January 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

We also love family math, though I can honestly say I haven't been the best of doing it! We also love the math game, krypto. I know there are online free versions, but it's well worth the purchase.

January 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I would LOVE for you to link my "Trinity Snowman" Bible lesson to your squidoo Christmas party page! I visited it and LOVE all the ideas you have listed there! Just FAB!

(Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog- I decide to start my own blog after being inspired by wonderful blogs like yours!)

January 20, 2010 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maureen, You may think that I like math. Wrong. I don't like it either. I always struggled with math although I managed to get good grades by following the "rules" of math. But I rarely ever understood anything I was doing. I was simply able to follow directions in a logical fashion.
But... fast forward to homeschooling. I was very fearful of passing on my math phobia, math-hating attitude. So I NEVER said that math was hard or boring, or whatever. (But I can't even memorize my phone number. That's how number resistant I STILL am.)
However, in my research, I found that math is way more than arithmetic. And I discovered that parts of math are quite okay, even interesting, maybe even a tad fun. So the transformation has been great for me as much as for Sprite. I wish you well. I hope you can jump over the math blockades in the way at least for your children's sake. (We don't want them to be math phobics like US. At a homeschool conference last year, the speaker was talking disdainfully about kids who have a hard time with such and such problem, worked mentally. I was so ashamed. I couldn't do it mentally either!)

January 21, 2010 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks Jimmie! It's good to hear that I'm not alone w/ my math-a-phobia. I'm going to work on it though.

January 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home