Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Workbox System Set-Up from Cassie

Welcome to Spell Outloud! Most likely you've landed on this page while searching for more information on Sue Patrick's Workbox system. You can see how Cassie's system is set up below. For even more information, examples and links, visit Working the Workboxes.  I'd love for you to stay awhile and check out what is offered on Spell Outloud. To receive the latest updates from this blog, click here to subscribe ,or join via Google Connect. Thanks for dropping in!

Now that the workbox system has hit the homeschooling community in full-force, I love to see all the blog posts and photos of how the system works for various families. My friend Cassie was nice enough to share with me how the workbox system is set up in her house for her two children.

workbox_system
Cassie chose Itso BinsItso_Bins from Target and IKEA shelves for her system. She says, "I like the Target boxes with the IKEA shelves because the two fit snugly together within one space, so there's no sliding sideways. The openings also allow for oversized items to fit in the bins without them tipping over."







workbox_numbersOn each of the boxes Cassie adhered three Velcro dots for the number, the "work with mom" tag and the number for the schedule strip. When her son gets a box, he puts the contents on his desk then puts all Velcro tags in the box and stacks it by the window. This keeps the tags from getting dinged and dented while "nesting" in a stack.


schedule_stripsCassie's schedule strips are color-coded for each child. Her daughter is almost three and Cassie states that it is a great way for Ellie to have number identification incorporated into her daily routine. And though her daughter is young, she totally understands how to use the workboxes. She knows to get her schedule strip, match the number to the box and get started on her work.

schedule_strip_extras


Now how cool are these cards? Using her digital scrapbooking skills, Cassie created custom schedule and clock-in cards.


Clock_In_cards


What a great set-up! Thank you Cassie for sharing with us. :)

___________________
Additional Work-box related links:

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger mamazee said...

Hi! I love how this looks - but are all those boxes 1-12 for her son? Where are her dd's boxes? Just trying to work it all our in my mind as i'll have five school aged next fall :) and i do have a brand new teak bookshelf :)...

July 8, 2009 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Yes, those 12 boxes are just for her son. She has another bookshelf for her daughter.

I have 4 kids that are using this system and we use the wire shoe racks. I have my kids using only 8 boxes, and I haven't found that I need any more (yet).

If you are looking for some alternate ways to organize using this system check out this link:

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dwstdgn_447mphsmf8&revision=_latest

July 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger mamazee said...

Thanks, i will go and check those out, too! I'm trying to picture wire shoe racks, and completely lost :) - but i like this idea - i think it would really encourage the littler ones taking more initiative... and maybe be a way for me to put a little more fun into the day..

July 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Shay said...

Any chance your friend, Cassie, would be interested in making her tags available for purchase through download? They are my favorite and I have NO skills on this computer to make my own! Thanks!

July 10, 2009 at 1:49 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

what an incredible set up... i love the details cassie uses... thanks for sharing this maureen, really gives me a better idea about this system and i love the way it all looks in the pics from cassie...

July 12, 2009 at 7:18 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

That looks very nice and organized!

July 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Incredible! I'm with Shay...would love those tags!

August 3, 2009 at 11:37 PM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

Thank you for your post this has been very helpful!

August 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so thankful to have seen your IKEA shelves in action. We were thinking about getting these shelves for a type of "system" for our Tot School and beyond. Thanks for sharing!

September 27, 2009 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger homeschool101 said...

Thank you cassie. This is what I have been looking for. Hoooray! ;)

January 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah Mae said...

Have you found the bins anywhere else? I can't seem to find them, and the link has changed. Help?

May 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

I've purchased the Itso bins at Target. I don't seem them listed online right now, but my store carries them.

May 24, 2011 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Oh, and I'm pretty sure these will work too:
fabric bins

May 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I am grasping the concept of this 'workbox system'...but I am not understanding what is INSIDE the boxes?

November 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Mandy, it is a way to break down each assignment for a child. So each box would contain an assignment, game, project that you would like your child to complete during the day. This article might give you more information: http://www.squidoo.com/workboxes

November 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home