Monday, June 8, 2009

Parenting for the Long Haul


DD#3 has been such a joy lately and yet at the same time has been testing to the limits. She's hit the "I want to do it on my own and on my own terms" phase. For example, she decided that she wanted to swim in the big pool. When told no she ran into the men's locker room where she knew I couldn't get her. Yep, my wonderful, adorable two-year old did that. It warms my heart to see her try new things and take ownership of tasks, but the testing(which 9yr. old ds has also been doing)is wearing me out. I've found that I've had to reformulate my game-plan and constantly remind myself that I'm parenting for the long-run.


1-3 Children, do what your parents tell you. This is only right. "Honor your father and mother" is the first commandment that has a promise attached to it, namely, "so you will live well and have a long life." 4Fathers [mothers], don't exasperate your children by coming down hard on them. Take them by the hand and lead them in the way of the Master. ~Ephesians 6:1-3 The Message

I've been meditating on the following verses, especially verse 4. My husband and I have been trying to decide what would be good consequences for certain actions for both my 2yr. old and 9yr. old. We've been parenting for almost 11 years now and still find that what motivates one child does not motivate another. So we've been praying, reading the Word, and checking out a few good parenting resources. Some days I feel like I'm on track, doing a good job, but lately I feel like I have no idea how to handle some of the curve balls that are coming my direction. God grant me wisdom! And I know He will. And the funny thing is that so far He's having me change first.


~Maureen

Books on my Parenting Bookshelf:


For Instruction in Righteousness: A Topical Reference Guide for Biblical Child-Training

Making Children Mind without Losing Yours

Grace-Based Parenting

NIV Gift Bible

Raising Your Children With No Regrets: 7 Principles of an Intentional Mother



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I am having the worst time with my nearly 3 year old, so so very sassy! I think I may be ordering some of your suggestions from Amazon, I'm at my wits end. She used to be so good and now, so not.

June 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home