Sunday, May 31, 2009

Toddler School

It has been awhile since I've posted anything for Tot School. We have been busy around here with end of the year activities (end of the year programs, recitals and co-op stuff). Even though most of our organized activities are ending for the summer, we're actually stepping up our homeschool stuff. I'm in the process of organizing DD#3's activities for this summer, so my next toddler updates might be more interesting :) I've got to say that I've gleaned wonderful ideas from the participants in the Tot School Linky!

In this activity DD#3 was working on clipping the clothespins to the corresponding color circle. She had a difficult time with these clothespins. I'm wondering if the traditional wooden ones will work better. I'll have to let her try those. I ended up putting stickers on the end of the clothes pin where she needed to press because it was hard for her to differentiate between the opening and where she needed to hold the pin.

These are just cardboard circles that my DD#1 covered with cardstock (ok, they were the lids to our Thai food take-out--no food touched them though ;) ) I saw a cute version of this activity using paint strips. I thought I bookmarked it, but now I can't find it. If you know what I'm talking about, I'd love to be able to pass on the link. :) Update: I knew I saw it on Jolanthe's blog, but I couldn't find it. Thanks to Cassie (the internet resource Queen) for finding the link for me :) Paper Clip Color Match


We also pulled out the first box of chalk for the summer. Walmart had them for a decent price so I picked up a couple boxes. One to use now and one to use toward the end of summer.



We had some 4yr. olds come spend the morning with us one day, so I pulled out some of my old AIM teaching materials from when I taught 1st grade. This was a seed sort activity. I really didn't plan for DD#3 to do it, but she jumped right in with the rest of them! If I were to do this activity with toddlers, I would glue one seed in the bottom of each compartment in an egg carton and have them sort the seeds that way.

DD#3 also got to use Crayola Color Wonder Fingerpaints. I really love the fact that I could just let her use them without worrying about her getting paint all over everything. She seemed to like using it. I'm not in love with the product though. It is a clear, gel-like consistancy paint. If you don't look at the lids you don't know what color you are getting. The containers are very small and the product does not go a long way. I think that I'll just go ahead and buy regular finger paints or make some pudding and let her paint with those next time.

Big sister helped her with her artwork.






Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've the wooden clothespins, but haven't sprung them yet. {giggle!} I think I'll open them this week, and see how L'il Man handles them. If he seems to have a propensity, I'll integrate them.

I like the bean sorter idea, too. So glad I've been saving egg cartons! :D

May 31, 2009 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I have yet to try the color wonder fingerpaints but I think since I love the markers I am going to have to give it a try. I love AIM materials, I have some from teaching K.

PS: Do you really think you'll be able to hang onto the second box of chalk until the end of summer? Mine goes through it so fast!

PS 2: I was looking at your side bar more, have you been published in scrapbook magazines or somewhere? For some reason your DD#1 looks familiar. Am I going crazy?!

May 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

These are great ideas! I need to be more on top of these things. I do, however, have the link to the paper clip activity you referenced:
http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/2009/05/paper-clip-color-matching-game.html

May 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger RockerMom said...

Wow, it looks like a great week! I really like the bean sorting. Thanks for sharing!

June 1, 2009 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger Christy Killoran said...

Thanks for the info on the color wonder finger paints; I wondered if they were worth the price. I think we will skip those. I like the bean sorting!

June 1, 2009 at 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very creative. BTW I gave your blog an award today. Stop by my blog to see it.

June 1, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home