Monday, June 8, 2009

My Square Foot Garden


I was introduced to the concept of Square Foot Gardening last year and thought that if I would garden, that would be the way to go. I never got around to getting my garden started last year due to adding a new child to our family, but this year I was determined to do it. I am a total garden newbie, but I purchased All New Square Foot Gardening, bought the supplies and actually got it set up! I built (well actually my husband) one 2x8 garden and one 3x8 garden. Normally square foot gardens are 4x4, but I only have a small patch of backyard that gets enough sun for a garden. In order to get as much squares as possible, we went with a rectangular garden. I made sure that it wasn't too wide so that I could still reach the squares in the middle.

I have 4 tomato plants growing. Two of them are heirloom tomato plants (I'm still not quite sure what that means, but I believe that is a good thing---need to do more research) and two are Big Bertha's or something like that. They are suppose to produce big tomatoes for sandwiches. We'll see. I told you I am a garden newbie!

I've planted too many pepper plants. Some are green, some red and some seranno chili peppers.

And for my big experiment---I planted one eggplant. I was thrilled to see the bloom! I have no idea what to do with eggplant other than I like to eat eggplant parmigiana at Olive Garden.
I also have some cucumbers, squash, green beans, basil, thyme, taragon, and parsley planted too. If all goes well this year, then I plan to build 3 more 4x4 boxes. I'm so pleased with the results so far :)



Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, you brave! brave ! woman! EGGPLANT?!?!?

(I shan't tell my husband, lest he ask me to do the same!) LOLOL

It looks wonderful! :D

June 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

I hope your garden turns out! I would love to have one.. but, I have no room :(... so instead I have a bowl that grows lettuce and a big pot with a few strawberry plants in it.

June 8, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

oh it looks perfect! i love the concept of the square foot gardens... and cant wait to see the end result of your hard work!

June 13, 2009 at 3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home