Friday, July 29, 2011

A Work in Progress: Homeschool Room Organization

Doesn’t this homeschool room look so neat and organized? Yes, it looked this clean for about 2 hours –lol! Last year I had a problem figuring out how to organize our homeschool room. I wrote several posts about how overwhelming it was to figure out how to incorporate everything I needed and make the room function. The photo above was the end result. For the most part it worked well this past year!

This is still one of my favorite organizing tools from last year. It is a magnetic knife holder from IKEA. I would put all the sharper scissors toward the top and the kid scissors at the bottom. All my kids (for the most part) put scissors away! Yeah!

I tell you, I love my Expedit bookshelf from IKEA! Seriously, this wall unit holds so much! On some of the shelves I added the white split-lid boxes from Target to hold craft supplies. On top I purchased bins from Sterilite. I made tags and used a dry-erase marker to write what was in the bins. This worked so well---in fact, I have another Expedit bookshelf on my wish-list.

In-Progress Part:

homeschoolroommess

If you would peek behind that blue couch right now, you’d find this mess. Yep. A mess. Each basket/bag has either curriculum to be planned for this year, curriculum to be put away from last year and other odds and ends. I really have no clue where to put this all—hence my wishing for another Expedit unit. :)

I had high hopes of using this bookshelf for my toddler/preschooler. We hardly used it at all because the floor-length curtain behind it in the picture were usually covering it up. I have moved this unit out in the hall and am reworking the toddler/preschool area. I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing yet.

chalkwall

I turned one of the walls in the hallway into a giant chalkboard. The girls love it (quote from Sally Clarkson.) I’ll post more of my hallway-turned preschool/toddler area once it is finished.

I have quite a bit of work on my hands trying to turn my chaos into completed projects—but it’s not nearly as bad as last year. :)  My biggest problem is where to store works in progress. For instance, where do I put things I’ve printed out but need to be laminated and cut? Or where do I put curriculum that I’m in the process of planning? Right now I have them stored in bags or crates but have no shelf space. I could use some ideas in this area.

You Might Also Like:

My Craft Stash Organization
Preschool Planning: The Art of Winging- It

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous The Homeschool Village said...

This is how your school room looks - oh my, it's like OZ !!!

July 29, 2011 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, it's really coming along. I need to buy a new bookshelf. I've got too many books, and the homeschool area is a mess as a result. I keep procrastinating.

July 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Mary said...

I love the scissor magnet thingy! Very cool!

July 29, 2011 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm working on organizing my cluttered learning room! Big job ahead of me. I'm thinking about getting new shelves. You're doing a great job so far!

July 29, 2011 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Thanks for the photos! I love my expedits too and will post pics. One question, the boxes holding your craft supplies, are those the split lid boxes from Target? If so, where did you find them in the store? If not, where did you find them???
Thanks so much!

July 30, 2011 at 12:05 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love seeing organization posts! We have a small house and I'm brainstorming about how and where things will go! I really like those Ikea shelves! Might have to make a run!

July 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Megan,

Yes, those boxes that say "punches" etc. are the split lid boxes (meaning you can open up each side without having to take the lid off). I did find them at Target in the aisle where they sell the ITSO storage boxes (I'm pretty sure it is an ITSO box). I do not see them listed online, but they are in the store.

July 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Ticia said...

I struggle with the same thing, where to put projects in progress. Where to put things I'm using, so on and so forth.

July 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM  
Anonymous Homeschool Parent said...

I love your organization and especially the scissor thing! I linked up to your post on my blog if you don't mind :)

July 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM  
Blogger Rachel E. said...

Your school room looks nice. I like the idea of having a room designated for learning.

I really like the hallway chalk board too. I would do that if this house were mine, but it isn't. (and I doubt they have chalkboard paint in Poland).

July 31, 2011 at 5:48 AM  
Blogger AllKidsCanLearn said...

Awesome learning room. My youngest son and I have been working on ours for most of the year, now. I am finishing installing a new ceiling (we already painted the walls and trim), and I have office furniture and an old couch. Your photos are an inspiration to continue! (I need to get us out of the family room!).

Kim

August 7, 2011 at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home