Thursday, June 30, 2011

Our Summer Garden

1garden62011

My garden is looking a little over-grown at the moment. We’ve had lots of rain during the month of June and the plants loved it. In this mess of green I have beans, some herbs, a couple of cucumbers and lots of tomatoes.

garden62011

My two other beds are full of tomato plants, green peppers and jalapeno plants.  In about a week I should be able to pick a couple of tomatoes. Then I’m sure all the rest of the plants will come to fruit at the same time and I’ll be inundated with tomatoes. I need to get my tomato plan in order. Will I make most of them into sauce? juice? paste? salsa? 

31eLgNVck5L._SL500_AA300_Last year my two girlfriends and I went in together and purchased this food strainer for making applesauce.  It made the job go so much faster! I’m thinking that I can use tomatoes with this too. I need to pull it out, read the directions  and figure out what to do before I’m swamped with tomatoes. Last year I got so overwhelmed that I just threw them whole in the freezer to deal with at a later date.

wateringgarden

My girls love to help with the garden. 

2bugs

(Looking for bugs while mom is working in the garden)

They are learning so much about plants, bugs, and veggies by helping me with our garden.

bugcollecting

(catching bugs and putting them in a bug-viewer)

I love that gardening gets us outside. It allows us to observe and work with the things God created.

summernaturestudy

And that reminded me to have my older kids do a summer nature study page--to give them time to sit and observe the sights of summer.

 

Related:

Garden Fun Project for Kids
Garden Theme Activities for Kids
Garden Theme Activities for Kids 2
May Garden Update

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Zonnah said...

I can't wait for my tomatoes :) Your garden looks wonderful!

June 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger LeeanneA said...

Gardening for children is such a great adventure - your garden looks awesome!
http://kreativeactivities.blogspot.com/search/label/Children%27s%20Lands
Here is our garden program we started - sadly we only got one bean - LOL However when I return to school next week I hope to take new pictures and see more growth!

June 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle Gibson said...

Looks great! I think the food strainer would be a must have for tomatoes. Have you tried the salsa screen?

June 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your garden looks wonderful. Our plants aren't fairing as well.

June 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM  
Blogger pink and green mama MaryLea said...

This is great! Would you consider stopping by and linking up today for our Smart Summer Challenge? I think our other readers would enjoy your garden learning packet!!

Fondly,
pink and green mama
MaryLea

July 1, 2011 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Stef said...

goodness - I'm in a corner shaking - that food strainer ... my mom made tomato sauce (and canned enough for an entire year each year when I was a kid). I can still remember her crankin that thing all day long - and the smell - the guts oozing out!!! (shaking shaking)

July 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Connie, the daisyhead said...

You guys should have called me! You could have borrowed my strainer. The applesauce screen will work for tomato sauce. If you have the salsa screen, it will do bigger pieces.

I'm so jealous of your garden! We got ours in late, so we're not close to harvesting anything yet. Maybe I'll come over while you're sleeping... ;o)

July 2, 2011 at 6:50 PM  
Anonymous cia said...

I love this post.

July 10, 2011 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks so much Cia! I often wish I could sit at your house and have you teach me how to can! I still remember your pickle post. I thought I might get around to doing that this year but I know I didn't plant enough cucumbers. I'm still learning!

July 11, 2011 at 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home