Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pretend Play: Preschool Ice Cream Store

We have been having fun with our toddler and preschool ice cream theme. Whenever we go to the ice cream store, my girls are fascinated with all the colors and flavors of ice cream available. I knew they would have so much fun running their own ice cream shop. With just a little advanced preparation, toddlers and preschoolers can run their own ice cream store right in their own home---or outside, which is where my girls set up their shop.

chocolateicecreamplaydough
First make sure to have several “flavors” of ice cream made ahead of time. Our ice cream consisted of 4 scented playdough creations.
icecreamflavors
I made one batch of vanilla-scented playdough. I used my regular playdough recipe and added some vanilla extract to the water. One batch fits perfectly in a pint container.  The chocolate playdough smells soooo good! I used the chocolate playdough recipe from Pre-Kinders.  Mint was the basic version plus mint extract, and for the strawberry---I forgot to buy the strawberry-flavored Kool-aid---but that’s what I would have used. Doesn’t it look good?
icecreamshopmenuI made a little menu so the girls could take ice cream orders.

icecreamshopmenu2I’ll have a sundae please! :) I printed this on cardstock and laminated. The girls used a dry-erase marker, but a wet-erase or dry-erase crayon would work too.

scoopingicecream  
I picked up a couple of ice cream scoops and bowls from the Dollar Tree.

servingicecream
It’s hard work scooping out ice cream! I love how her little tongue sticks out when concentrating. She was very excited about having a pretend playdough ice cream party!
playdoughicecream
I filled an empty Hershey’s Cocoa container with pieces of brown string. The girls pretended this was chocolate syrup.
 eatingicecream2
Doesn’t the playdough ice cream look real?
icecreamsmile
The nice thing is that this kind of ice cream does not melt. And you can use it more than once. I’m sure we’ll be playing ice cream shop many more times this summer!
icecreammenuweb 
(click to download the ice-cream shop menu and labels)



  click for more ice-cream ideas




Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Gibson said...

So fun, colorful and yummy looking! Love that the play dough can be scooped into a ball.

June 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Mama Jenn said...

This is too stinkin cute! LOVE IT!!!!!

June 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger Rachel E. said...

So cute! I love your ideas...and that little girl is so squeeze-ably cute. But, of course you know that.

June 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

could you be any more fun ??

June 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

This is darling! Where did you get the pint containers for the playdoh?

June 8, 2011 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

That's too cute, my daughters would love it!

June 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Jackie Higgins said...

I love this one too. I'm loving your icecream unit... maybe it's my huge love of icecream that draws me to this study! :) We like to do storytime playdates with our friends. Some of these icecream ideas would be perfect for an icecream social playdate!

June 9, 2011 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

I got the pint containers at The Dollar Tree, but you can pick up any old plastic container.

I'm glad you all are getting some ideas! The girls and I have been having fun with this unit.

June 9, 2011 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

Wow, you are the coolest mom. I happen to have those ice cream dishes so I might just have to be cool like you and get this set up.

June 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger jess_hak said...

I love, love, LOVE this! I was thinking about doing an ice cream unit this summer for fun and this just made up my mind to do it. We will definitely be using your ideas. So cute! :)

June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a fun activity. I think I'm going to send it to my sister for her to use in her daycare. Do you have the recipe for the kool aid playdo? I haven't seen the recipe for years and it's one of the best. I know you use kool aid packs, flour, water and you have to cook it on the stove. That's it.

I'm going to add your button to Family Literacy and you and forward it to the montessori school I work with.

Thanks! Tina "The Book lady"
http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com

June 13, 2011 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

Great minds think alike - I just bought these dishes at the dollar store for the exact same purpose!

I will link this post in mine when I do it ;)

June 14, 2011 at 1:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I soooo love this! :) Featuring it on this week's High paw. Thanks for adding it to the linky Maureen! :)

June 17, 2011 at 4:01 AM  
Blogger Sandi said...

thanks - my kindergarten students will love the ice cream menu

June 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Angie said...

too cute!

June 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Ilene said...

Just wondering if you have my recipe for Ice Cream In a Bag. It's a great summer activity (and treat) for the kids! It fits in with your unit, too.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8107437/ice_cream_in_a_bag.html?cat=25

June 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love all these ideas! We're starting on an ice cream unit next week... it will be perfect for summer. I'm definitely using a lot of your ideas! Thanks for sharing!

July 2, 2011 at 12:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So adorable! My daughter would love this. :)

July 6, 2011 at 2:53 AM  
Blogger Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Thanks for the printables and inspiration! http://littlepageturners.blogspot.com/2011/07/ice-cream-birthday.html

July 24, 2011 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

How Creative!

December 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home