Friday, May 27, 2011

My Garden is Growing!

Thanks to some help from my parents and kids, I finally have most of  the garden in now. It has been soooo rainy here that I thought I’d never get the planting done.

outsidegarden

A fun, unexpected surprise were these two new square foot boxes. Last year I just tried to grow things in the ground, but the weeds were out of control and there were water drainage issues. My dad came and helped me set them up. I’ve got Big Boy tomatoes and green peppers in one box.

pepper

In the second box I have some jalapenos and Roma tomatoes.

garden2

My two gardens in the backyard are planted too. I’ve got more tomatoes growing in the left-side garden along with some herbs.

beanplants

I’ve got lots of bean plants growing in the other box. Oh and if you look carefully there are also some squash plants growing right along with the beans. I didn’t plan that.  I guess I threw a squash in my compost pile last year and when the compost was mixed in with the soil for this year, there were some left-over squash seeds. I’m letting them grow for now. We’ll see what happens :)

I am hoping to make some salsa and marinara sauce this year. Does anyone have any good recipes?

Related:

Garden Fun Project for Kids 
Garden Theme Activities for Kids
Garden Theme Activities for Kids 2

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Joy said...

Looks like you have an awesome garden going! Stef over at Educating Layton posted a salsa recipe on her garden post. http://educatinglayton.blogspot.com/2011/05/garden-update-salsa-recipe.html

Blessings!

May 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger i cant decide said...

Looks good. How wonderful to get two new beds you weren't planning on. I'll take some of your rain!

May 27, 2011 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Lorus! said...

This is looking great! Maybe the squash and beans will support each other?!

May 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

O no salsa recipes her but sounds yummy!
Kelly

May 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

ouch - someone hasn't been reading my blog. *sniffle!!

I've got a salsa recipe! And thankful JOY saw it! =)

May 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

LOL Stef! I wrote this before reading the blogs in my reader--lol!

May 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle Gibson said...

We love and use the recipe in Nourishing Traditions for basic fresh salsa. Stef's looks good too. ;-) I haven't decided about a recipe to can yet. I plan to use the recipe from the back of the book Roots Shoots Buckets and Boots (a gardening book for kids) for pizza/spaghetti sauce- the recipe looks fabulous.

I'm looking at your first picture of the tomatoes ~ if you trim the bottom stems and add more compost to the tomato box so that you can bury more of the stem (it looks like you have room to do so), the stem will grow roots and provide a stronger root system to support the plant. Helps tons!

May 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks for the tomato tip Michelle. I'll do that. :) I'll have to look up the Nourishing Traditions salsa recipe too. My mom has the book.

May 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Zonnah said...

That is funny about the squash. I had the same thing happen with my compost but it was potatoes instead.

May 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home