Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Learning with an iPad

ipad2

I will admit that I like technology. I’m a digital scrapbooker, a digital photographer and a blogger. I had seen how others were using the iPad for educational purposes and I put one on my mental wish list. I didn’t expect to get one though. I was very surprised when my husband came home and handed me one for our 15th anniversary (which isn’t until August—lol) Through a bunch of cool circumstances he was able to get one for me! This has worked out perfectly as a summer learning tool for my children. The newness and the different format is making them excited about practicing math facts, geography, and reading (I’m hoping this will be a big motivator for a specific child of mine).

ipad62011

My 4yr. old and almost 3yr. old have found ways to use it too. One of the first things I did was to download all our Songs for Saplings songs and our Seeds Family Worship songs that we use for Bible/school. It drove me nuts to try to find a cd player or play the songs off of my computer. Because of that, half of the time we would forget to sing our songs. Now I just bring the iPad into the room and the girls and I can sing together.

Of course we had to add some fun apps. In the pictures above my girls are playing Toca ‘s Tea Party. They love this game. We also have Toca ‘s Hair Salon and Doctor too.

KiboomuAnother game they played was Preschool Sing & Learn by Kiboomu. They enjoyed the songs, coloring, and the puzzles.

iPad Resource Lists:

There are so many resources to use with the iPad that it can be overwhelming. When checking out what to get or put on my wish list I went to the following sites:

1. For a great listing of education iPad apps, check out Carisa’s list:

2. For a listing of some of the best children’s books available on the iPad check out the post from Imagination Soup.

3. For general app information and news about new apps, check out Moms with Apps.

Do you have any other educational app lists to check out or  iPad apps I should def. put on my to-get list?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Faith said...

Hello! I just wanted to say how much I really enjoy reading your blog and learning so much from you! One of our favorite apps is called Story Builder. You are given a picture and then you record your thoughts on it and can play back your entire story after you are finished. It is great! They also enjoy Language Builder as well as Conversation Builder. Another favorite of ours is called Sight Words by Photo Touch. Thank you for sharing all your wisdom and ideas with us!

June 29, 2011 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We love the Isy Bitsy Spider and PBSkids.org.

June 29, 2011 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

We love Electric Companies Word Ball. It is for a little older readers though. My five year old loves it. :-)

June 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Melissa Taylor said...

thanks for linking to Imagination Soup!

August 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home