Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sir Rowan

Sir Rowan

Thanks to the recent heat-wave last week, I actually got a book read!  Sir Rowan is the sixth book in the Knights of Arrethtrae Series by Chuck Black.  I’ve read a couple other books in this series (Sir Quinlan and Sir Dalton) and was looking forward to the final book in the series.

Summary:
Sir Rowan rose from humble beginnings to become the most popular knight in the kingdom of Cameria. He looses focus and forgets about his pledge to serve the king. After rising to the top, he is double-crossed and left for dead.  At the last moment, he finds out he has an even higher calling and destiny…

What I Thought:

I’ve enjoyed reading all of Chuck Black’s books. Sir Rowan is an allegory of the Last Days and the book of Revelation. He does a pretty good job at creating allegory in the story, but I’m always left wanting more. When I read, I don’t always want the allegory so obvious. At points I could predict what was coming next or why the name was picked because he took it straight from the Bible or just spelled real places backwards. I always am left wanting more character development too. In spite of that, I’m always drawn to his books. He gives me another way to share my faith with my kids. When I read the book, it gets me thinking and reflecting about things in my own life. I think this whole series is a great discussion tool for parents and older kids. There is even a discussion guide included in the back of each book. Boys especially will be drawn to the way Mr. Black describes battle scenes (not gory). All in all, I’d give this book 4 stars out of 5.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for free to review through Blogging for Books from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group, but was not financially compensated in any way. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I wanted you to love this. It sounds like a good series for my nephews.

July 27, 2011 at 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home