Friday, January 7, 2011

Color Matching Game

colormatchingame
I love it when things come together and it doesn’t take a lot of prep work on my account. :)  I pulled out a color sorting activity from a Wildlife Kit I purchased from Time for Tots (I’ll have a separate post on the kit later in the month) and combined it with our Education Cube.  Here’s the game we came up with:

1. Roll the dice (I had placed only the color names that were listed on the sorting mat into the cube. These printable inserts are available to Education Cube members).colormatchingame2
2. Whatever color lands on top is the color straw the player must pick from the colored straw pile. Using tongs, the player grasps the straw and places it in the correct space on the mat.

Extension:  For students who know their colors but need to practice reading/identifying color words, use the black and white color word inserts. These are available at Education Cubes.

Optional Play: You can play this game with two players. You will need to have two sorting mats. Play the game as explained above. The first person to get their board covered wins.

My 4-yr. old daughter enjoyed playing this sorting game. It added in a couple of different elements (the tongs and the dice) that kept her interest. She did change the rule to whatever side of the dice was facing her was the color she picked. That works too. :)



For more preschool ideas check out:preschool corner


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great way to add a little extra fun to the activity and engage your daughter for longer! Love that she created her own rule!

January 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger Mama Jenn said...

What a neat idea!!! LOVE IT!!! Can I feature your idea on the EC blog? I would use one of your photos and of course link back to your site!!

January 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger The girl who painted trees said...

Great game:)

January 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger Elle Belles Bows said...

I love this exercise! I have been trying to find a way to build on Ella's knowledge of colors. I also love how you incorporated the use of tongs into the exercise too! Kerri

January 11, 2011 at 4:37 PM  
Blogger The Activity Mom said...

ooooh love how that worked out! Great idea and great game!

January 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome! Love those cubes! :) Have to get some for our home! :)))

January 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home