Thursday, August 12, 2010

Continent Hop - Geography Game

I am still in the homeschool planning mode. One thing we will be doing this year is geography. I've downloaded Expedition Earth from Erica at Confessions of a Homeschooler, and am working on getting our binder and materials ready. I'll be pulling materials from various sources to make this a full year unit but using Erica's plans as the bulk of the unit. She has everything laid out so nicely and I love the animal addition! I will have a review up in the next week or so. (You can see my resource list in my previous post: Geography Resources)

Since I will be teaching young ones too, I wanted to come up with some active activities for them so that they can have their own geography fun. I came up with "The Continent Hop" that I thought preschoolers/K would enjoy. There is a poem to help memorize the names of the continents and also little game where students hop to the continent called out. I hope that you find this useful! I'll have to post pictures once the kiddos use this.


There are 2 downloads to complete the set.
Continent Hop Download #1
Continent Hop Download #2


Optional version for this game:

Spread out the continent sheets on the floor.  Have one child throw an inflatable globe up in the air. Whatever continent his right hand is on, then everyone has to jump to that continent.



preschool corner

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Mama Jenn said...

Maureen, I LOVE this!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

August 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger Leptir (Nataša) said...

Thanks so much!

August 13, 2010 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger Jada Rocks said...

Wow these are great, thanks!

August 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

I Love it! Downloading now!! :o) Thanks!!

August 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Ticia said...

Awesome! Thank you!

August 13, 2010 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger RockerMom said...

How awesome! If I hadn't already worked up our continents/oceans/planets lessons for this year, I'd use these. I may still use them in addition... thanks for sharing!

August 13, 2010 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...following you back!

August 13, 2010 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

I am pulling this for our co-op Thanks!

Gave ya a much deserved award: you can get it here:
http://hsingonawingandaprayer.blogspot.com/2010/08/award-time-sunshine-award.html

August 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger Wendi said...

I've been trying to decide whether I should get Expedition Earth...it does look like it would be a lot of fun to do.

Your Continent Hop game looks great! We just finished our first week of world geography, we studied the continents and oceans ~ and now I can't get the "Continents and Oceans" song out of my head from our Geography Songs resource (from our SL Core 2 stuff) :)

August 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger SnowWhite said...

I can't seem to make the download work- should I be using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox or Google Chrome?

January 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Hmm, I'm not sure why you are not able to access it. I was able to open it using Firefox with no problem. If you still can't access it, send me an email w/ your email (your email is not attached to your blogger profile) and I'll send you the download.

January 24, 2011 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger The girl who painted trees said...

Thanks for the link. I love your printables. I'm going to use your oceans song since I didn't have one and actually had no clue about the Southern Ocean:)

March 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking on how I want to print these. I even thought of printing to T-Shirt Transfer paper (which I already have) and ironing them onto heavy fabric. Whatever I do end up doing I know these pages will be great to use for other activities as well. Thank you for sharing it for free for others to enjoy. Also, I just downloaded Expedition Earth and that is how I found your blog, etc.. Shannon at littlethingstx.blogspot.com

August 21, 2011 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Butterfly said...

Thanks for the resource, I love it and know my children will too!
We will be using it next year.

November 27, 2011 at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home