Wednesday, November 11, 2009

MCM: Nativity Sets

Angel

One childhood Christmas memory I have is of me laying under the Christmas tree,watching the bubble lights bubble, while playing with a plastic canvas train set. My brother and I would take turns rearranging all the houses and the trains while under the tree. It was a Christmas decoration that we could use over and over again without worrying about "not touching".

I have 5 kids, so at my house you won't find any breakable Nativity scenes or decorations (that's because they've all been broken already--lol!) So I decided that I want Christmas decorations around that they won't get in trouble for touching. I want my kids to be able to move and play with the nativity scenes. I want them to pretend and bring to life the nativity story in their minds. I want my kids to have good memories pretending, playing and interacting with our Christmas decorations. I tell you I was absolutely thrilled when Fisher Price Little People came out with a nativity set several years ago. I think I have just as much fun as my kids playing with the sets (as you can tell by all my photos--lol!) I'd love to one day have all the add-ons too. :)

nativity set

Nativity Set (Nativity Widget Not Shown in Reader-Click Blog Post to View)





I_spy_bottles_Christmas

This year I made a Nativity Scene I Spy Bottle. I purchased a mini-nativity set to place in the bottle. It will be a nice activity to have on hand during the month of December. For complete instructions, see the link above.

We also like to make our own sets each year. Here are some sites I've found that have printable nativity scenes or Christian Christmas coloring pages:

Free Printable Nativity from Scrapbook Scrapbook
Nativity Craft from First-School
Christmas Nativity Felt Board from DLTK
The Nativity:Games and Print-outs
Nativity Scene Clip-art
Christmas Nativity Coloring Pages
More Nativity Coloring Pages
Nativity Coloring Pages from Christian Preschool Printables
Christmas Printables, Games, File-Folder Activities from Christian Preschool Printables
Making Friend's Printable Paper Dolls--Nativity
Nativity Coloring Pages from Coloring Book Fun
Handmade Nativity Set
Nativity Lapbook by Photojenic
3-D Printable Manger
Christian Symbols Ornaments

We also enjoyed this interactive nativity set:



So do you have a special nativity set just for the kids? Do you make your own? Share your ideas or links to your blog posts in the comments and I"ll pull them together in another Making Christmas Meaningful Post.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Thanks for all the links. We had a huge paper nativity that took my then 3 year old the entire month of December to color last year. He really liked it. We also have the Little People one and I am looking forward to getting it back out again soon.

November 11, 2009 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger mollie said...

I love this idea Mo! I'm definitely going to make I Spy bottles with a few of our grandchildren this year.

You have such great "kiddo" ideas . . . and give such super links. LOVE your blog. :)
_____________
Mollie aka readstoomuch

November 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

The I Spy bottle, is so cute. I actualy have some cute mini ornaments, I can finialy do something with!!
I also have a few "kid Okay" Nativitites... I'll post about them.
One day I want one Nativity Set for each of my children, to asemble as they desire, somewhere in the house!

November 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I landed in our blog by way of following a "rabbit trail" and had to share my nativity story. We also have the Fisher Price nativity set for my dd (5). This year she begged me to get it out NOW. So I did and the other night I heard her in her room playing with it...reenacting George Washington crossing the Delaware with it. The kings were the Hessums (Hessians), Joseph, Shep and the Innkeeper were the Patriots. I didn't want to ruin the moment, so I'm NOT sure what baby Jesus was if anything in the story. ...Janelle

November 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Janelle, that story just made me smile! Thanks for sharing. :)

November 17, 2009 at 4:22 AM  
Anonymous Honey said...

Thank you so much for sharing all these wonderful links. I am a little late thinking about Christmas this year. Your posts about Christmas were a wonderful surprise. I love visiting your blog. Great job!

November 20, 2009 at 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Do you remember where you got the mini nativity scence?

please email:

rachael_wycombe@hotmail.com

thanks

February 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home