Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Getting Organized: Luggage Tags

I love to gather stuff for our homeschool around themes. I have a bad habit of printing off items, finding books or crafts but leaving them all over the place. Then when we would get to that theme or time period, I would forget what I had or where I had stashed it and it wouldn't get used. That kind of defeated my purpose of finding things to go along with what we were learning.
This year I decided to get organized. I found 4 Sterlite baskets (15 1/8" x 12 7/8 x 6") It fits papers, books and craft items perfectly. So when I'm gathing things for a unit I have a place to put them until I'm ready to finalize everything. In order to be able to easily label the baskets over and over again, I decided to customize some luggage tags. That way I could write with a dry-erase marker or a wet-erase marker on the basket and easily erase it if needed.

Supplies:
luggage tags (I used Scotch Self-Sealing Laminating Pouches for Bag Tags 2 13/16" x 4 9/16")
digital scrapbooking supplies
(or regular scrapbooking paper)
ribbon

1. Create a new document: 2.5 width 3.75 height 300 dpi (If your tag is a different size than what I used, make sure your tag is smaller than the exact dimensions of the plastic luggage tag. It needs to be able to seal all the way around.

2. Open any digital elements you would like to add and layer them on your new document.


Wonders Kit by Mindy Terasawa


3. When you are satisfied with your design, save as a PSD just in case you want to change anything later, and then save again as a JPEG.

4. Open a new document 8 1/2 x 11 at 300dpi. Drag your flattened (jpeg) version onto the new document. Copy that as many times as needed (CTRL-J). Since I have 4 boxes, I needed 4 luggage tags. Adding them all onto one document makes printing easier.


custom luggage tag
5. Print the tags onto photo paper or regular paper. With luggage tags, thinner paper-weight is better.

6. Cut out and then place on the luggage tag. Seal with the adhesive back.

7. Use either the plastic ties included with the luggage tag, or use ribbons to tie to the baskets.
If you decide to use traditional scrapbooking products to decorate your tag, use the same size dimensions. Try not to make your tag bulky--believe me I've done that and had to resort to using Diamond Glaze to get everything to stick! :)

Now you can use this same idea to use on any of your organizing baskets or crates. Try making some as reusable gift tags or even ornaments!

And while you are getting organized, see my free printables for starting your own Family Traditions notebook planner.


For more holiday ideas see:

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful organizing idea--would work for any office project, as well, that requires odds and ends of various sizes. I'm inspired!

November 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

this has many great possibilities, thanks for sharing. I love the wipe off markers and luggage tags idea. I am seeing many possibilities... right down to toy totes!
I saw where someone did something similar in the kitchen pantry. If you have taco's on the menu, then everything from the pantry needed for that dinner goes into a similar box... this would be great to be able to wipe off weekly!

November 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

great tips! I never would have thought of that... I just tap index cards on the side of the box... but yours are so much cuter.

thanks for the tutorial too!

November 4, 2009 at 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks! I have a lot of ideas stemming from yours :)

November 9, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home