Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Everything Apples

Apple QuoteI know it's been pretty quiet here on my blog lately, but believe me I've been working on some things to share with you! We've started working on an apple unit and are having a blast! I planned the unit for my DD#2 and figured my DD#3 could tag along with some of the stories too. I've created a couple of toddler activities to go along with what DD#2 is doing too. I've been surprised though that the older kids wanted to join in the fun too. So now we all are doing apple activities!

Here are some of the resources we are using:

Apples:
Apple Trees and Apple Blossoms-great info. by Evelyn Saenz

Apples to Oregon unit from Homeschool Share

How to Make Apple Pie and See the World Unit from Homeschool Share

The Apple Pie Tree Unit from Homeschool Share

Johnny Appleseed:
Unit by Naturegirl 7

Mini-Unit and Lapbook from Homeschool Share

Misc. Apple Stuff:
Preschool Apple File folder game from Homeschool Share

Apple Tree Math Mat from Homeschool Share

Apple Pie Recipe by Aunt Opal from All Recipes.com

I spent some time last week photographing apples and I'm pretty proud of my attempt! I definetly won't be moving into food photography anytime soon though ;)I did however, enjoy using those images to create toddler apple pattern cards. DD#3 has been working on learning apple colors, so I thought she'd enjoy practicing using the apple cards. If you'd like a copy too, just click the photo. Apple Patterns

Next week I'll have a guest post showcasing one of our toddler apple activities. My 2 1/2 year old and I had so much fun putting it together. I can't wait to share it with you. :)

Oh, my kids are doing an informal survey and would love to know what your favorite apple is. We'd love if you'd post your answer in the comment section :)

McIntosh
Red Delicious
Golden Delicious
Granny Smith
Jonathan
Gala
Fuji
Winesap
Cortland

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Katrina Kennedy said...

Fuji, definitely fuji :)

September 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger The Puzzle Den said...

My all time favorite is Honey Crisp, but they're hard to find. So Fuji is my favorite right now!

September 1, 2009 at 11:59 AM  
Anonymous Evelyn Saenz said...

My favorite is MacIntosh piced ripe and juicy on a cold, crisp, Vermont morning from the apple tree on Garner Rix's farm.

Thank you so much for adding a link to my Apple Trees and Apple Blossom lens.

September 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Goat Gal said...

Granny smith on a cracker with a slice of parmasean or brie cheese. Yummy!

September 4, 2009 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Kristi Stephens said...

Jonathan! :)

What a fun unit - we're planning to do apples next so I might borrow some of your ideas! I love homeschool share.

September 4, 2009 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Mama Jenn said...

I think this is my first time on your site and boy have I been missing out. Thanks for all the great printables! I wish I would have had those apple pattern cards when my daughter learned about apples. I will definitely have to use them when the boys get around to studying apples. We also did an apple survery. My fave is Fuji and my daugher's fave is Granny Smith.

September 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Mama Jenn said...

I also meant to ask you about the cursive font that you use for your printables. Do you create it yourself or is it a downloadable font? I would LOVE to be able to use it for my daughter who is learning cursive!!!

September 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Kylie said...

Wow sounds like a great Apple Unit. Oh I love Pink Lady's, maybe you all call them something else over there in the US though!!!

September 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

What a unit on Apples! I miss the orchards where my older kids and I use to go to pick our apples every year. I think next year I will make a plan to take Selena to the other side of the State to the orchards. My favorite apple is Red Delicous for eating, and Granny Smiths for making apple sauce or apple pies.

September 5, 2009 at 1:53 AM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

I love your collection of links... making me hungry! Our favorite Apples are probably the Goldens

September 5, 2009 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Susana said...

Love your apple week! I'll have to check out some of those books when we do our apple stuff next week--thanks!

September 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Melinda said...

Thanks for all these great activities and info, I will be using these with my little guys!
Our votes are 3 for Fuji, 1 Granny Smith, and 2 for Red Delicious and 1 for golden delicious!!! enjoy!

September 6, 2009 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger Four Little Penguins said...

Out of the ones listed, definitely Granny Smith! And that is all six of us in our house.

September 7, 2009 at 12:53 AM  
Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's an awesome unit. I am planning apple theme too for my 3 year old, and I will be borrowing some of your resources. Thanks for sharing!

September 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Jolanthe said...

Love the apple pattern cards - we'll have to do an apple unit before we go picking.

And now I need to know how to crop a picture so that you can just have the image on a white background. Want to come over and teach me? :)

September 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Our favourite apples are definitely crisp amd juicy fujis.

September 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Leptir (Nataša) said...

I just discovered your blog and I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing your great ideas and for free printables!
My favourite apples are Golden Delicious.

September 25, 2009 at 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal favorite apple is Cortland.

September 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Dalton Gang said...

Wow, love your blog! Full of great ideas! I have been printing for a good while now! Thanks for sharing!

October 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home