Monday, August 24, 2009

Scrapbooking as an Educational Tool


I've been selfish. Yep. You heard it right. I have been scrapbooking for over 10 years and my family knows that this is my hobby. Though what I scrap is usually about my kids, I rarely let them scrap with me. And now that I scrap digitally, I have to admit that I don't want to share the computer or have them access my stuff where they might mess it up.

Lately I've been feeling convicted.

While talking with my oldest DD, I casually mentioned teaching her how to digital scrapbook. Her eyes lit up. She wanted to get started right away. She was excited. So I asked my son what he thought. I was very surprised that he thought it would be fun (though the thought of him on my computer scares me because he's not afraid to click anything, move folders, create passwords, change screensavers...) So this year, as part of our homeschool curriculum, we will be using scrapbooking to document things we've learned, places we've visited, and people we love. While the kids might think they are just creating a scrapbook, I on the other hand, know what they will really be doing. We will be doing it digitally, but many of the same principles apply to paper scrapbooking too.

1. Narration Narration is retelling what you learned in your own words. We already incorporate notebooking, copywork and dictation, but digital or paper scrapbooking is another creative way to add narration into our school routine.

2. Gathering and Organizing Information

3. Project Planning

4. Introduction to Color Sense and Design Principles

5. Typing

6. Writing for an Audience

7. Developing Patience and Fortitude (yes, working with computers can sometimes be frustrating! Also, working on a whole album takes time and effort).

8. Learning software

9. Eye-hand coordination

10. Sense of Accomplishment

After seeing this list, I'm wondering why I waited so long to use this medium with our schooling. :)
_________________
Layout Supplies:
Bug Quick-Page by Katie Pertiet

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Clueless_Mama said...

I think that sounds like such a great idea. My son loves to play with my computer too. I think it will be great to incorporate that into the schoolwork. Good thinking.

August 24, 2009 at 2:25 AM  
Blogger Quilter422 said...

Great way to share your passion and teach them a whole host of necessary skills at the same time!

August 25, 2009 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Love the post, and what a great and fun way to teach!! Stopping by from SITS! Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

August 29, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home