Monday, July 13, 2009

My First Harvest -- Square Foot Garden

Ok, don't laugh at the huge amount of produce in my first harvest, but it's baby steps for me! :) As I wrote before, I just set up my first Square Foot Garden this year. I started out small because I had to see if I could really handle caring for a garden. I have to tell you that I have loved having this garden! All I have to do is water it occasionally. I have had to do hardly any weeding at all! It has been so simple to care for--and so far everything is still living! :)

One green pepper, one cucumber, and a handful of green beans made the most delicious meal---well I did have to supplement a little. I diced up the the green pepper and added it to an omelet with ham and cheese. I sliced the cucumber and sprinkled a little salt for a tasty snack. Then I snapped the beans, cooked them and pureed them for baby food. Not a bad start!

I still have tons of tomatoes growing, couple eggplant, more green peppers, red peppers, Serrano peppers, cucumbers, and squash. I have no idea what I'll do with it once it's ready---but it sure has been fun growing things from scratch! (Can you tell I grew up in the city!) I think the next skill I'll be learning is canning...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline Miller said...

Yes, that first harvest is always exciting!

July 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Nice! I have my Square Foot Garden book on my desk, read it twice and will be working on that as soon as my list gets shorter...lol!

I bet the kiddos love eating homegrown food!!

May 26, 2010 at 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home