Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ancient History: Eygpt and the Minoans

We have now completed one month of Illuminations by Bright Ideas Press (I'll have a detailed review up next month). Using Mystery of History Vol.1, we learned about Early Egypt, Stonehenge, and the Minoan Civilization this past week.

Our read-aloud book for the past couple of weeks has been The Golden Goblet. I am a big fan of good, historical fiction books. I learned more about history reading historical fiction books as a kid than I did in my history classes. I pre-read this just so that I could be enthusiastic and pronounce things correctly when reading aloud to my kids. I enjoyed it and my kids are starting too as well. It definitely is for older elementary children as there are some sensitive topics (Ranofer is often beaten and starved by his half-brother.)

After reading a couple chapters in the book, my son illustrated one of the scenes with his Legos.


A good part of the book takes place in a goldsmith shop, so this shows Ranofer working--well if I explained the whole thing I would give too much of the story away! :)


My 9yr. old daughter on the other hand, was very interested in what we learned about the Minoans and on her own, created her version of a fresco (well without plaster--she made do with what was on-hand.) I love that my kids are interested enough to do projects that are not assigned! She also made a salt-dough amulet, but I failed to photograph that project.


I was excited to get a box of books in the mail! These books will be used later in the year for our history studies. Just a few more left and then I will have all I need for the year. If you are wondering what the book list looks like, you can check out the Illuminations Year 1 Grade 3-8 list on Amazon. I've also been pinning ideas on my MOH1 Pinterest board.

What's been your favorite time-period to study in history?




Pin It

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ticia said...

Totally checking out your pin board, we did MOH1 last year and used our legos a LOT for reenacting lessons.
Here's my MOH1 pinboard: http://pinterest.com/ticiam/creation-to-christ/

And here's our MOH1 posts: http://adventuresofmommyness.blogspot.com/search/label/ancient%20history

for what they're worth, maybe it'll give you some ideas.

February 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Ticia said...

Huh, I just discovered I'm not actually following all of your boards. FOR SHAME!

February 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks Ticia! I will check them out. I'm always looking for ideas and love to see how others use the same program. :)

February 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Hi there! I am a FB and pinterest follower, and love it all! We are giving MOH another go, and actually talked about Sumerians today. I am really interested in how you work the book, i.e., how you space out the lessons per week, any extras you add in, etc. I started with SOTW a couple years ago, thinking it would be great, but I think I got burned out on Egypt, LOL! But now that I am looking Sumeria, all my insides want to pull from STOW and do Egypt first. I feel like MOH is moving so fast and...and...and...I think I had to force a Slow Down. Like my husband said, this is not going to be only time they hear about these things, and by then, who knows what we'll be using.

Oops. I think I wrote too much! eek! Sorry about that!! But I am enjoying MOH and am enjoying see what you do with it!

February 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Heather Mac said...

Love the post. My oldest kids are finishing MOH II this year and it is wonderful, of course. But, the question was, what is MY favorite part of history??? Hands down, American Revolution and leading into Regancy England and the Napoleonic Wars. I too love histirical fiction. I believe it is an excellent way to ignite the passion for further study into History. Which may explain why I am a huge Jane Austen fanatic!

February 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home