Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Getting Ready for Nursery Rhyme Time

Starting in Feb. I will be posting Nursery Rhyme activities both here and on Totally Tots on Thursdays. Nursery rhymes are a wonderful way to introduce young learners to rhymes and develop phonemic awareness. Did you know that it is a skill to hear words that rhyme? I have been working on getting things ready for this unit and thought it might be helpful to list some of my thoughts and resources that I will be using.

The Books:




There are many different collections and version of Nursery Rhymes. I will mainly be using classic nursery rhymes. If you haven't read any nursery rhymes for awhile, you might want to pre-read the book versions you will be using. Some of those classic poems might be too harsh or violent (i.e. certain version of the Old Woman in the Shoe say,"She whipped them all soundly and put them to bed," while other versions say, "She gave them all kisses and sent them to bed.")

The Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme book by Scott Gustafson is a beautiful, hardback book. The pictures are gorgeous! I'm tempted to tear them out and frame them. My children love to look at the pictures in this book. I do want to point out that one poem included in the book, the Bat, Bat poem, has a picture of a wizard catching a bat.

My Very First Mother Goose is another good beginning collection. Wonderful illustrations. Some of the standard nursery rhymes are missing such as Mary Had a Little Lamb.

Best Mother Goose Ever by Richard Scarry is the book I grew up listening to when I was a kid. Typical Richard Scarry style illustrations.

Sylvia Long's Mother Goose is another collection that has good reviews on Amazon. I don't own this version yet but hope to add it to our collection soon.


This week I've been printing off nursery rhyme poem pages and sequence cards. Each week I will introduce a new poem (or two) and we will add the poem to our Nursery Rhyme notebooks. Any crafts and other misc. things will also be placed in the notebook. I plan on using the sequence cards in our pocket chart for retelling the rhyme. I will probably be printing off pages from Kizclub too. There are word cards plus coloring pages. Some of the full color pages could be printed on magnet paper and used for retelling.

I also gathered up various odds and ends that go with different rhymes. We will use those objects for retelling and games.

For those who are wondering what rhymes I will be doing--- well I never know for sure but here is a partial list to start:

Little Bo Peep
Mary Had a Little Lamb
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep
Twinkle, Twinkle
Hey Diddle, Diddle
Jack and Jill
Jack Be Nimble
Little Jack Horner
Hickory Dickory Dock

I've also been collecting Nursery Rhyme ideas on my Pinterest board. If you have any great nursery rhyme links, leave it in the comments so I can add it.


Pin It

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ticia said...

Here's what I have: http://adventuresofmommyness.blogspot.com/search/label/nursery%20rhyme

Hope it helps, now I'm going to go check out your pin board, I LOVE nursery rhymes.

January 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks for sharing all your ideas Ticia!

January 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Caterina said...

I have been looking for something like this! Very excited!
Thanks so much,
Caterina

January 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

You are so stinkin creative!
Kelly

January 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger laurensmommy said...

Hi there! I'm not sure if you already have this on your pinboards (haven't had a chance to look at them yet) but I wanted to leave a link to one of my favorite, favorite sites that I've used since I taught K and Prek in public school and now use at home with my own preschooler! :)

http://prekinders.com/nursery-rhymes/

January 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Vanessa @pre-kpages said...

Thanks for including my site, your nursery rhyme activities are too cute!

February 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will LOVE the Sylvia Long version. The animal illustrations are beautiful. A bird's nest for "rock-a-bye baby" -you'll shake your head and say "of course!" -Dee Volkert

February 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Carter Clan said...

Thanks for sharing these printables and wonderful ideas for the nursery rhymes. I can't wait to start them with my daughter!

March 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home