Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kindness Craft

This year I have been intentionally teaching my children virtues. I had found myself telling my kids to be nice, be kind, be attentive, but I hadn't told them what that meant. I just expected them to do it. Thankfully I came across a wonderful company called We Choose Virtues that has the cutest virtue cards to help with our virtue training (You can see my WCV Flashcard Review here)

We use the faith-based parent/teacher cards. There are also community cards that contain no scriptures for those in public school or community settings. Sometimes we stick to a particular virtue for more than a week or so. Currently we are working on showing each other kindness.


With 6 kids in the family (once again my ds is missing from the photo) we have many opportunities each day to show kindness.


Kettle Gretel is the VirtueVille kid who teaches about kindness. She loves to make hot chocolate for all her friends. My younger girls pretended to make hot chocolate for each other. While doing this, we sang a little song to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" with the words taken from the nursery rhyme "Polly Put the Kettle On"

Gretel put the kettle on, kettle on, kettle on
Gretel put the kettle on we'll all have hot chocolate.

(Name of child) take it off again, off again, off again
(Name of child) take it off again, our friends have gone away.


Then we did an art project to help us remember the keyword pictures and Bible verse.


The girls colored their kettle and cup and glued onto a piece of construction paper.


The "hot chocolate" being poured from the kettle to the cup has the theme verse.

Now instead of saying, "Be nice now," or something along those lines, all I have to say is "Kettle Gretel" and my kids know what I'm telling them and what I am expecting from them. :)

You can download the craft printable here: Kettle Kindness Craft





Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenni R. said...

I love how you've added an art project to go with it! My girls will love it! {I cannot get the download to work though--it keeps going back to this page. Thanks for your help!}

January 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks for pointing that out Jenni. I fixed it! :)

January 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Madonna said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing Mo!

January 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home