Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Curriculum Additions

When we started off our school year, I knew we were starting off with half our course-load. I was hopeful that by January I would be able to add what we needed. I'm thrilled that God met that need and we are excited with what we will be studying.

Our first big addition is a new History and Literature program:



We will be using Illuminations Year 1, Grades 3-8th this year. Illuminations is an all-inclusive *curriculum, covering Bible, Language Arts (grammar, writing, copywork, spelling and vocabulary), Literature, Science, Humanities (poetry, theatre, music, and art), Geography, History, Life Skills, and Projects. It is a customizable schedule plus includes reader guides, graphic organizers and more. I love that all my kids will be using this program.



Illuminations Year 1 uses Mystery of History Vol. 1 as its history spine.

"This is everything you need for teaching Ancient Civilizations through the time of Christ, all in one book. Chronological, Classical, Complete. This is a truly unique and remarkable new product! Written for 4th – 8th graders but adaptable for the whole family." -Bright Ideas Press

We are looking forward to studying ancient history for the second half of the year.

Another exciting addition is a unit study on Ancient Art and the Orchestra by Harmony Art Mom. If you are looking for fine-arts curriculum or nature studies curriculum, you need to see what Barb has available! Even though it says Grade 5, I asked it it was ok to switch based on what we were studying. She said that would work fine. The material is suitable for all 3 of my older kids grades 4-8th. I think this will integrate perfectly with our Mystery of History year 1 curriculum.


We'll also be doing a butterfly nature study during the spring. While we wait for the weather to warm up, we'll be using Crowe's Nest nature videos.


For my preschooler/almost K'er, we are thrilled to be using All About Reading Level 1. We are moving through this very slowly right now. She's just starting to understand blending but has not fully grasped the concept. She also continues to do All About Reading Pre-Level 1 activities with her sister, though she knows all her letters and sounds.

Here is my All About Reading Level 1 review  if you would like more information.


I have had The Fallacy Detective on our "to-do" list now for 2 years. We started and got through 3 lessons before I got sidetracked with little ones. I put it on our curriculum list at the beginning of the year but we never touched it. Well another mom approached me asking if she could teach this to all the middle-schoolers in our co-op. Yes! I'm excited that this will finally get done.

Have you made any new curriculum changes for the 2nd half of the school year?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful!! We love All About Reading!

January 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

The Fallacy Detective - that looks fun !

January 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

I have Illuminations year 1 for high school students that we'll begin using in our home. Funny, I've had The Fallacy Detective for years. We've started it more than twice and gotten sidetracked both times. :( It's on my list of books to actually finish this next half of the year. Better late than never, huh?

January 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Glad I'm not the only one who struggled--it's not that it is hard (very good book btw)---maybe it's because I'm not logical---lol!

January 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Ticia said...

Illuminations has been intriguing me for a while. I look forward to reading more of what you think of it.

January 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Connie, the daisyhead said...

Sounds like a great plan! You'll have to let me know how you like Illuminations. :o)

January 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger LaMonica said...

I'm digging what I'm seeing about Illuminations and considering it for my 9th, 6th and K kiddos next year. Can't wait to see what you share with us!

January 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home