Friday, January 13, 2012

App Activities: The ABC's and a Zoo

Each week it seems like I learn about more educational apps and uses for the iPad. I thought I'd share what we've been doing with our iPad this week.


As usual, my preschooler and toddlers seem to use the iPad more than their older sisters and brother. I have some great ideas for the older kids though which I hope to share in an upcoming post.


Our new app of the week is The ABC's of God. This app is geared toward young children learning letter recognition. It pairs scripture with the process of learning letters. What a great combination!

★Trace each character in a wooden stencil, on a felt pad, and on a chalkboard!
★Find letters using a flashlight, match them on a fridge, and more!
★Unlock bonus games and collect stickers!
★And learn about who God says He is, in His Word!


I love that I don't have to print out worksheets for this type of letter identification practice. Right there covers the price of the app! :) Children find the letters in various settings. First they find the capital A on a page with only one correct answer. They do the same for the smaller case letter. Then they come to a page as seen above where they have to find multiple capital letters, then lowercase. Finally they find both capital and lower-case version of the letter in a Bible verse. This app is well-done and a great fit for my family.


Our new book of the week is Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo by Oceanhouse Media.This is a classic Dr. Seuss book made new for the iPad/iPhone. This book is about young Gerald McGrew who knows just what he'd do if he ran the zoo. He'd find the most unusual animals in all the out-of-the-way places. In typical Dr. Seuss style, the creatures are all very imaginative. This book is actually pretty long and we had to read it during several different sittings. Good thing it has the "Read to Me" setting! :) That is one feature I love about OMbooks. It makes this an easy way to turn the iPad into a listening center.


A nice craft extension after reading this book would be to create your own animal to put in the zoo. We used pieces from our Bug Craft Kit.

What has been your favorite app this week?


You might also be interested in:
There's a Wocket in my Pocket

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I love this app too...but does it read the verse to your child? Have you figured out a way/setting for this? I'm not sitting right there and can't always read the verse. My son can't read (yet)...just curious. Seems like I'm doing something wrong on one of the settings.

January 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

You know, that would be an excellent feature to add in this app! You are right--when they get to the "Find the Letter in the verse" part, there is only music. The verse is not read automatically. It only says the attributes of God. In the parent letter the creator of this app states that "This app was created to be played together (kids and parents), so this might be intentional.

January 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger MomLaur said...

Thanks for sharing these apps! I am thinking about getting an iPad now after seeing all the super ones out there!

January 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home