Thursday, December 1, 2011

Humphrey's First Christmas

I fell in love with Humphrey as soon as I saw his face on the cover of Humphrey's First Christmas by Carol Heyer. Something about his smile and eyes just drew me in. When I finally read the book, I was so glad I picked up this book for our Christmas book reading. This story shares the birth of Jesus through the eyes of a camel.

Summary: Upset that he's missing his blanket, Humphrey is determined to get it back. It's that blanket that keeps him warm--why should he be left out in the cold? The illustrations in this book are fantastic and help convey how Humphrey was feeling. In the end, did he really need that blanket?

This is another wonderful children's Christmas book. The illustrations are just as important as the words because they work together to tell the whole story.

After we read the story, I found my little girls with the Little People Nativity set reenacting the book. Every camel they see in decorations or books is now Humphrey. That makes me smile. :)


When I pre-read this book, I immediately knew what I wanted my older kids to do. I purchased a couple of fleece blanket sets on sale so that I could have the kids make some blankets to give away.


All three of my older kids worked on the project. Thanks to my mom (who knew you needed fabric scissors for this--lol!) we were able to complete two blankets to give away.


A perfect book activity that also gave my kids the opportunity to share with others.



Other posts in this series:

5 Days of Christmas Books: Day 1 - My Favorite Childhood Book
5 Days of Christmas Books: Day 2 - The Christmas Book Book
5 Days of Christmas Books Day 3 - The Song of the Stars

Please stop by and visiting my other 5 Days of Christmas friends!


A Slob Comes Clean - Getting Your Home Company Ready
Feels Like Home - Christmas Traditions
Somewhat Crunchy - Christmas with Dairy Allergies
Spell Outloud - Children's Books
Mama's Learning Corner - Children's Crafts
Many Little Blessings - Edible Gifts
Sunflower Schoolhouse - Decorations
An Oregon Cottage - Christmas Cookies
Catholic Icing - Wishing Jesus Happy Birthday
The Traveling Praters - Traveling
The Homeschool Classroom - Gifts Kids Can Make
Mama's Laundry Talk - Laundry Gifts


What's in the Bible

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a cute book! I am always looking for ones to add to our collection!

December 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger jess_hak said...

I just ordered this book from Amazon....I've heard so many good things about it. :)

December 1, 2011 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Aack! I just realized this series is entitled 5 days of Christmas. Please tell me you will continue to share the books you have lined up even past the 5 days?! It is immensely helpful to have a Christian review of these books rather than just picking up random reading.

December 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Mrs. G said...

The blankets were an awesome idea. I love it.

Rachel (new member)
www.wewillwalkforeverholdinghands.blogspot.com

December 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Carol Heyer said...

Thanks!! It was so much fun to see my picture book HUMPHREY'S FIRST CHRISTMAS featured on your blog!!
I love your idea of making and giving blankets just like Humphrey did. :0) I also love that your girls call every camel they see Humphrey! He would be so proud!!!
There is a page for Humphrey up on my web site and the new book trailer has just been released. You can check it out here: http://www.carolheyer.com/humphreys-page.html
Merry Christmas!

December 6, 2011 at 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home