Monday, November 28, 2011

5 Days of Christmas Books #1

I remember my favorite Christmas book when I was a child. My brother and I would fight take turns scratching the smelly sticker on the page. Anyone remember which book I'm talking about?


The Sweet Smell of Christmas is a cute book that brings back many memories for me as a child. Though it doesn't focus on the real reason for Christmas (aka Santa is in there), many of things the little bears did were things our family did to get ready for Christmas. Plus we thought the scratch-and-sniff stickers were cool!

A couple years ago I adopted the tradition of purchasing at least one new-to-us Christmas book to be read in December. This year we're up to 15 books. Many people who have this tradition in their homes wrap each book up and place under the tree (or special box) so that the children pick one book out a day. It is used like a book count-down calendar.


I'll admit it-- I hate wrapping presents so wrapping each book just wasn't going to happen. I store all our Christmas books in a wrapped box. This is last year's picture, but the box survived the packing and still looks the same. My kids and I enjoy looking at the books all through the month. I like the "surprise" element of individually wrapped books though, so I thought about how I could add the surprise while still knowing what books we would be doing. Makes sense right? Plus I wanted a way to document the book-making memories we were creating and find a way to include books we read or listened to on the iPad. So I came up with a new system that we are going to try out this year.

Which I'll show you in detail tomorrow... :)

But while you are here, I'd love to know what were some of your favorite Christmas books as a child?


Please stop by and visit my other 5 Days of Christmas friends!

A Slob Comes Clean - Getting Your Home Company Ready
Feels Like Home - Christmas Traditions
Somewhat Crunchy - Christmas with Dairy Allergies
Spell Outloud - Children's Books
Mama's Learning Corner - Children's Crafts
Many Little Blessings - Edible Gifts
Sunflower Schoolhouse - Decorations
An Oregon Cottage - Christmas Cookies
Catholic Icing - Wishing Jesus Happy Birthday
The Traveling Praters - Traveling
The Homeschool Classroom - Gifts Kids Can Make
Mama's Laundry Talk - Laundry Gifts

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are doing the book countdown this year for the first time and Sammy is loving it! I loved Twas the Night Before Christmas :-)

November 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Honey @ Sunflower Schoolhouse said...

I love the idea of doing a Christmas book box. I don't think I would be organized enough to do a book countdown. If the books were out, the kids would be reading them all over and over until Christmas.

I did have it together enough this year to begin gathering all of our Christmas books together and I have just the perfect basket to put them in.

November 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

We have several really great favorites. One is Apple Tree Christmas by Trinka Hakes Noble. Another is The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston.

Our oldest is 19 and our youngest is 8, and we have been collecting Christmas books for the 25 years of our marriage. I love going through our box each year and rediscovering old favorites.

November 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Sarah Allison said...

i really can't think of any special Christmas books so I better start this tradition with my God-daughter this year. She is only 3 months old but she does enjoy looking at bright colors in the books I have shown her so far. This book looks really cute, I can't wait to get it for her:)

November 29, 2011 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Reading favorite Christmas books is our family tradition. A favorite moment was gpa reading the first book 2011, 'Bear Stays Up For Christmas' to our little ones after tree was decorated. So many
favorites, it hard to mention just 1.

November 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Bethel_Bunch said...

I absolutely adored "The Sweet Smell of Christmas" - it gives me shivers just seeing the cover on here! I've still got it now, but can't really share it with my daughter, as the smells have worn off years ago.

November 29, 2011 at 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home