Monday, November 14, 2011

The Names of Jesus Advent Chain

I know, I know I just posted about Thanksgiving sneaking up on me and here I am writing about Christmas! Yes, I am currently working on Christmas posts. I wanted to share this one early just in case you are planning some of your December activities already.

adventchainJN

I have wanted to go over the Names of Jesus with my kids as a study for awhile. This year I thought it would be appropriate to do during the Christmas season. I found an online Names of Jesus study at Easy Fun School and based this Advent chain off of the scope and sequence found there. The chains only contain the name and the Bible reference. Check out Easy Fun School’s site for in-depth activity ideas for each name.

namesofjesuschain

Since purple is usually a color associated with royalty, I decided to make our paper chain purple and silver. I printed out the template on shimmer cardstock by Core’dinations. I was worried that the ink would rub off right away, but it didn’t. I did need to let it dry for a few minutes before cutting. If the ink gives you problems, you can set the ink with Kryon Preserve It! by lightly spraying the paper before cutting.

topperforchain

I made the hanger for the chain out of a white, sparkly pipe cleaner, ribbon, and snowflake garland. We will hang this up on December 1st and remove a chain each day until Christmas.

Click to download the Names of Jesus Advent Chain.

You may also want to check out the additional Christmas printables I have available. More coming soon.

I plan on flip-flopping Advent chains each year. In the past we have used this advent chain created by my friend Cassie (yes, she is real!—lol). I love how Advent Chains have become a December tradition in my household.

What are some of your family Christmas Traditions?

What's in the Bible?

P.S. I will also be using The Names of Jesus ornaments from Bible Story Printables to go along with our study. I’ll be blogging about that later. :) I also will be posting a Children’s Christmas book series at the end of this month! Make sure you subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss a thing!

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Stef said...

oh love !! We have Christmas ornaments (wood ones) with the names and a book that goes along with where that name is in scripture and why. The boy looked forward to doing it because I got him a tiny fake tree for himself !!

November 14, 2011 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Christina AKA SuperMom said...

Ohhh! I think we are going to do a twist on this. Right now we are doing "thankful" turkey feathers. I have my four year old write one thing she is thankful for on a paper feather and my two year old tapes it to the turkey. We do this all month. I think we will do the same idea with the names of Jesus on a chain but have my four yr old write one every day until Christmas. Then by Christmas day we will have a completed chain. Yeppy! It's great writing and phonics practice for her.

November 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I do a Name Of God wreath with my kids...but this year maybe I'll change to the chain. I also do an advent activity about Jesus everyday of advent. A few of my friends and I have set up a forum where we post ideas. Some of the things we did last year are posted if you want to look at the 2010 section! :) http://adventactivities.activeboard.com/

November 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger The girl who painted trees said...

Great idea!

November 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Tabitha (Growing Up Homeschooled) said...

This is so beautiful! Out of all the advent calendars on the blogosphere right now, this one is AMAZING. I am totally in love!

November 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

Thank you so much for sharing this Advent chain! I made an Advent calendar last year and used cups for each day. Counting down, we opened a cup and inside I had placed a symbolic household item. This year, I plan to celebrate using a Jesse Tree and now your gorgeous chain!

November 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

LOVE!!! Where do you come up with this awesome stuff? You are such a good mom :)

November 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I love it! We did a Names of Jesus study a few years ago. This would have been nice then. But then again I might just do it this year too! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what else you have to share.
Brandy aka Lil' Momma
Homeschooling mom of a kid whose main educational goal is to one day beat her at hangman. (Ain't ever gonna happen, btw)

November 15, 2011 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Jackie Higgins said...

Those are beautiful. I'm not sure if I'll use them as an advent chain (as my kids are so young) or if I'll just make them for decorations, but thank you for sharing!

November 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Tracy @ Hall of Fame Moms said...

Just found your post on Twitter- I love this idea! My oldest has shown in an interest in the past about God's various names and doing something like this for the Christmas season each year would be great.

Thank you!

November 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Mary Prather said...

This is something we will definitely do this year! Thank you for such a beautiful activity.

November 23, 2011 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Deb Chitwood said...

These really are beautiful, Maureen! I love the concept, and I really appreciate you sharing your free printable. I featured your post and photo in my December 2011 Family Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/11/29/december-2011-family-activities/

November 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

November 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Dineen said...

I have started to plan a names of Jesus activity for the 12 Days of Christmas (I have Christmas/December things planned) and I love your paper chain idea.. My little girl is 4 and a beginning reader, so your download isn't appropriate with the elaborate font, but the chain idea is wonderful as a presentation. Thank you also for the link to the Easy Fun School ideas, since that will help me choose which 12 names I want my little one to focus on. I had already thought of 12, but this is making me think more. Thank you again.

November 30, 2011 at 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I had bookmarked some other names of Jesus activities but this is my favorite so far - it's simple and elegant. I don't have the sparkly paper but I cut some larger scrapbook paper down to size. I was wondering - what do you use the blank strips for, if anything? Trying to figure out what to do with them!

November 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Good question Karla! I included extra strips just in case you needed one to be tha hanger or if you wanted to add a different name.

November 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

I love this! I never knew my daughters name, Shiloh, was also a name of God.

November 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Sierra @ H is for Homeschooling said...

I love this for advent too! If you want to link up to my advent party more than once, I think both ideas are awesome :)

December 2, 2011 at 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Sharon said...

I love, love, love this! Thank you so much for sharing. I haven't made any kind of paper chain since I was a kid, but I am definitely gonna make this one next year when my daughter is a little older.

December 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I added this to my post on Jesse Tree ideas, thanks!
http://tammyisblessed.blogspot.com/2011/11/bonanza-of-jesse-tree-options.html

December 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Miri said...

We loved making this, thank you for sharing it.
Miri

December 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I shared your advent chain printables on my blog in a post about The Christmas Angel and The Twelve Days of Christmas Kindness that our family is doing. Stop over and check it out: http://trendzntraditions.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-angel.html

December 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home