Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Egg-Carton Smash Game for Toddlers

Recently I spoke at a local MOPS group and shared some early educational activities parents could do with their toddlers and preschoolers. One mom mentioned that her tot liked to destroy things—especially his sister’s projects and crafts. That got me thinking about purposely creating activities where it was ok to take apart, break, or tear things for the sake of playful learning. So the first activity in this series is the Egg Carton Smash Game.

eggcartonsmash

Supplies:

1 Styrofoam egg-carton
Sharpie Marker
Tape
Play Hammer

Object of the Game:

This game is meant to be a review game. You can customize it with any information your tot or preschooler needs to review. If you are working on colors, place colored circle stickers (garage sale stickers) on the egg carton. If you are reviewing ocean animals, put various ocean animal stickers on the carton. If reviewing shapes, use some of the Foam shape stickers. There are so many options--customize the game board as you see fit.

1. Write numbers, letters, shapes etc. on the egg carton with a Sharpie marker.
2. Cut off the back portion of the egg-carton and discard.
3. Tape the egg-carton to a table.

Directions: The teacher calls out a number (letter, shape, or whatever is being reviewed) and the student must smash the correct space on the egg-carton.

eggcartonsmash2

My preschooler was the first to try the game. We used the hammer from our Melissa & Doug Tool Puzzle set (we have use this puzzle in so many different ways!) At first she was waaay to gentle because she  couldn’t believe that I wanted her to smash it! She quickly got over it and started to get into the groove.

eggcartonsmash3

My toddler on the other hand, went at it with full-force right from the start. We were able to play this game 6 or 7 times before it was completely destroyed (but that was because the baby pulled it off the table and ripped it.) If you use Styrofoam egg-cartons, once the dome is smashed you can flip it over and push it back up again.

eggcartonsmash4

Do you have any build-it/break-it, tear-it type activity ideas? If so, I’d love to link to them in a future post. You can leave a link in the comments.

You Might Also Be Interested In:

Pretend Play: Ice Cream Shop
Nocturnal Animal Sort
Playdough Spiders

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger GAHCindy said...

This is just perfect for my little girl. She is in a destructive phase like I've never seen my older boys go through. I suspect she's going to send me to me knees a lot as she gets older. Sigh.

November 1, 2011 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Ticia said...

I love this idea!

November 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger Valerie McClintick said...

Yeah this is the perfect boy homeschool tool for sure!! Now I know what to do with all those egg cartons I've been saving ;)

November 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

LOL Valerie! I was embarrassed at how many egg cartons I had on hand. I've been saving them for crafts. I really didn't need that many though.

November 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Ami said...

I love this so much, but I have the wrong kind of egg cartons (plastic -- not foam or paper). :)

What a great idea! I can't see what else you come up with. :)

November 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Monkey's Mommy said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! My 2 year old is ALL about destroying things and we look for things for him to take that "hitting" streak out on besides us and the dog...will definately have to try this one out!!!

November 3, 2011 at 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home