Saturday, April 16, 2011

Salt Dough Necklaces

After reading the book Immi’s Gift with my girls, I immediately thought of a craft that we could do as a book extension. We would create our own necklaces, just like in the book. Using salt dough and cookie cutters, my toddler, preschooler, and elementary-age daughters made their own unique craft creations.

saltdoughnecklace1

First we mixed together all the ingredients for our dough. I used the recipe in Jimmie’s Salt Dough Map article. I cut the recipe in half though.

saltdoughnecklace1a

Then the girls practiced rolling out the dough. We do have child-size rolling pins, but they wanted to use the big one.

saltdoughnecklace2

Then they used cookie cutters to cut out some of the shapes we saw in the book, Immi’s Igloo. We placed the cut-outs onto a cookie sheet. Then we used a straw to cut out a hole in each figure. I placed it in the oven at 200 degrees to dry for several hours. You could let it dry over-night on the counter too.

saltdoughnecklacepaint saltdoughnecklacepaint2

After the cut-outs were dry, the girls painted them.

saltdoughnecklace3 saltdoughnecklace4

We placed them on a string and added some fabric flowers. A fun craft for all ages.

Immisgiftbook

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison @ Educational Creations said...

Your youngest looks very proud of her creation!

April 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

What a great idea! I have boys, but we could probably do some boy necklaces.

I love your blog and I am a new follower :)

April 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM  
Blogger BookChook said...

Yes, two very proud young ladies, and why not! Great idea.

April 18, 2011 at 1:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These look great! Adding the flowers was a great idea!

April 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home