Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Geography: Learning the Oceans

Did you know that there are 5 oceans? Yes, I didn't realize this either until I was planning our geography unit.

In the spring of 2000, the International Hydrographic Organization established the Southern Ocean, and determined its limits. Those limits include all water below 60 degrees south, and some of it, like the Arctic Ocean, is frozen. http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/oceans.htm

I find that turning facts into rhymes or sung to familiar songs helps my kids memorize. While surfing the internet I didn't come across any rhymes that included the Southern Ocean. So I made one to fit "10 Little Indians" Just a note---as soon as you are done singing the first line you go immediately into the Arctic ocean line. Click the photo to download:

So do you include the Southern ocean as an ocean of the world? It's taking me some getting used to---kind of like telling myself Pluto is no longer a planet :)



Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Wow What a creative name... The Southern Ocean.... :) Poor Pluto... I still cry foul on that one....

Kelly :)

September 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Ashley Pichea said...

Wow - I had NO clue there was now a fifth ocean!

September 8, 2010 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Merrilea said...

Love your site!! Wish my kids were younger than yours so I could use more of it!!
Thanks!

December 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM  
Blogger The girl who painted trees said...

I can't get the pdf to print. Would you mind emailing it to me? I only need the oceans one. Thanks,
Julie
http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com
thegirlwhopaintedtrees at gmail dot com

March 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for all the great information that you always provide. As soon as I can find another job, I plan to purchase your geography unit.

July 12, 2011 at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home