Friday, September 3, 2010

Preschool Corner Aug. 30 - Sept. 3

Each week we are slowly adding a little more to our preschool day. I could say that it is intentional, but really it is more practical. I'm finally getting organized and finishing up other projects which is allowing me to focus more on our homeschool stuff. Since it is the beginning of the month, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to start Calendar Time.


I'm reusing a dry-erase calendar board for our calendar. I added velcro in all the squares and purchased the calendar numbers at the Dollar Tree. I laminated the numbers and added velcro. I had to make month titles to fit in the small space, but I love how it works out. I purchased the pocket chart holder from the Dollar Spot at Target. It works for me! :)


One thing I made was a little chart with all the months. (If you find that element useful you can download it here) That way when we sing the month song we can see all of them at a glance. I also had my daughter clip what month we were in. Right now this element is just hanging on the nail, but I do plan on adding it to a board along with our memory work and letter/color/shape of the day/week info. I just haven't got around to putting that together yet. :)


DD has been enjoying working with her Kumon cutting practice book. Cutting with scissors is a hard task for her and she was so proud of herself for cutting this page in half and then seeing that is was a puzzle she could put back together.

Next she practiced writing/drawing on the chalkboard. She was working on writing a letter A (her request). She did write one -- upside down :) It thrills me that she is initiating wanting to learn.

One fun thing I noticed this week is how much she uses her imagination. I was sitting at my desk and she came knocking on the wall. In her hand was a basket. She wanted me to pretend she was knocking on the door and I had to ask who was there.

Me: "Who's there?"
DD: "It's just me. I have a basket of goodies for you"
Me: "Ok, I love goodies. You can come in.
DD: " Roaaaaaaaaaaar! I'm going to get you! I'm the big bad wolf!"

She was totally reenacting Little Red Riding Hood. I didn't realize she remembered the story! Totally made me smile. :)



Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Katrina Kennedy said...

Thanks for the link to the cutting book Mo! I just ordered it for a little boy who needs a little help with his motor skills :) I ordered the coloring one as well! Great resource.

September 3, 2010 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger Ticia said...

I love kids imagination and playing

September 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home