Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Square Foot Garden

This is my second year keeping a Square Foot Garden. The kids and I enjoyed growing and eating things right out of the garden last year, and we're looking forward to this year's harvest too.


Right now I only have 2 boxes. I am always surprised at how much I can plant within that small space though.

We are growing some herbs again: Oregano, Parsley, Basil, Lavender, Rosemary and Garlic chives.


We planted lots of tomatoes: Roma, Brandywine, Sunsugar, Grape tomatoes, Big beefy (or something like that) and some sweet sauce-type tomato. I'm hoping to can some spaghetti sauce this year.



We also have green peppers, bush beans, cucumbers, butternut squash, pumpkin, raspberry starts, and zuchinni. (I also have a plot of dirt where I'm growing some of the vine plants and the raspberry bushes. It's not as fun to garden there because the weeds are so bad!)

So that's the state of garden so far! :) Mama Jen shared a cute activity where she had her kids plan their own garden. I'm planning on having my kids do something similar. Actually, I'll have the older ones make a master chart so we know exactly what is in each square. You can check it out here: The Kid's Garden Plans.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Katrina Kennedy said...

Mo, you know how much I love my garden! It makes me happy to see yours! Check the diggin food blog for a great way to trellis your vine crops, the kids will love it and it will give you even more space! http://www.digginfood.com/2010/05/vegetable-trellis-round-up/

May 25, 2010 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Oh I love the ideas that have there! Hmmm, wonder which one to make. That would be very helpful! THanks for sharing the link.

May 25, 2010 at 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Allison said...

Serious question Mo... do I really need to buy the book to do this? Or can I just set up my boxes and have at it? Is there stuff in the book I really NEED to know? LOL!

May 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

I used the book a lot when first setting it up because he had a specific mix of stuff to make the dirt. I pulled it out once this year when planting to see how many of each plant could go in each square. There is enough info out on the web that you could probably get by without purchasing it. I'd check and see if your library has it.

May 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Karen said...

Hi Mo,

Let me know when you're ready to make tomato sauce. I have tried many different canning recipes for sauce and found them all really bland even with LOTS of fresh herbs. They also took HOURS of simmering on the stove and lots of work canning which is fine if you get a good result, but a little disappointing if you do all that work and the sauce isn't very good. Last year I found a recipe on line and it calls for letting the sauce thicken and reduce in your oven and then freezing it instead of canning it. It is the best tasting sauce I have ever made and it was SO much easier. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe.

May 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

I'd love the freezer recipe! I usually do mostly freezer stuff, but thought I'd branch out into canning this year. But if the sauce is better the other way--I'm all for tasty sauce!

May 25, 2010 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Mama Jenn said...

You garden looks AWESOME!!!!!

May 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger i cant decide said...

Hello, I'm visiting from the crew forum. Nice garden. I gave each of my children their own little garden. They love having their own piece of land.

June 19, 2010 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Mrs. White said...

This looks great!!! I really need to start a garden.

I am your newest "follower!"

Blessings,
Mrs. White (TOS Crew FM)

June 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home