Tuesday, May 11, 2010

School Planning: Living Math Books

I hope to spend the next couple of days really solidifying our homeschool plans for the summer and fall. For my oldest two (10 & 11), I have decided to spend some time next year studying the lives of mathematicians. We'll be using Mathematicians are People Too . Vol. 1 and probably Mathematicians Are People Too Vol. 2. I love it when I get to shop, and I had a gift card to Amazon so I picked up some more living math books to go along with our study. I'm starting to get excited about it now. We will be notebooking this unit and thankfully Jimmie has already created all the printables for the first book! You can find them here: Printables for Mathematicians Are People Too. I spent some time last night printing pages out so that I can be organized for next year:) Jimmie also includes online links to each mathematician for additional stories or activities. I'll be using her list to help guide me planning the unit.

Since one of my goals for next year is to incorporate some more living math activities into our math curriculum, I thought this unit would fit in perfectly. I also hope my kids learn to appreciate math more rather than just tolerate it because they have to do it. I think that teaching them the stories behind all those math concepts will make math a little more real to them.

So that's one thing I get to check off my school planning list. Are you in the school planning mode? What's on your list?  I always love to get more ideas.

~Maureen

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Great links! I am always trying to teach math to my 3 year old through games and other activities. Obviously, she is too young for Great Mathematicians, but I am always on lookout for good math books for her (and for me) to read. She is pretty advanced for her age (knows all the things that a K child is supposed to know), so it's a bit of a challenge. I don't want to go into something that would be too hard/boring, but I also want her to progress somewhere. Oh, the choices-choices :)

May 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Maureen, for the links. Glad the material is helpful.

May 12, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home