Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Butterfly Unit Ideas for Young Kids

Last week I had to sub. at for our local homeschool co-op preschool class on short notice. I picked a topic, planned crafts and printed print-outs all in one hour! (I wish I could plan like that all the time---I am usually the world's slowest planner/gatherer/creator of homeschool materials).

1. First I prayed. Seriously---I needed something that would keep toddlers/preschoolers busy for a couple of hours or else it was going to be a really loooooooong day!

2. I looked around my book stash to see if I had at least two or more preschool age books on one topic.

3. Once a topic was established, I ran to my craft cabinet to see what we could make with what I had on hand. (This is where having a stocked craft closet comes in handy! Just the other day I had picked up a few odds and ends just in case and it turns out, it was exactly what I needed.)

4. Did a quick Google search for fill-in items, such as a coloring page and a printable book.

I have to admit that I was surprised that everything ran so smoothly and went great! I wrote about the projects and resources in my new article on Squidoo, Butterfly Unit for Young Children.  You'll find these crafts and more:


Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Ticia said...

I love turning the caterpillar into a butterfly

May 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Busy1 said...

I love the ideas! In fact, we were going to study caterpillars and butterflies next week in our school and this gives me some wonderful ideas!! Perfect timing from the Lord! I love that you got it published all professional-like on the squidoo site!! :-) You're so good at all of this...

May 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks Ang! :) Glad you could use some of the ideas.

May 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Cute cute cute pom pom caterpillars! Love how you did caterpillars and then butterfly "afters".

May 5, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home