Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Soft Words

Yesterday I was reading My ABC Bible Verses by Susan Hunt with my 3yr. old. The verse of the day was "A soft answer turns away wrath. Proverbs 15:1".

We sang the verse a couple of times to the tune of "Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush"

A soft answer turns away wrath
turns away wrath
turns away wrath.
A soft answer turns away wrath
Proverbs 15:1

Then I decided that we should try to illustrate the verse.




Now when we look at our picture we made, we sing the song while pointing to the words. She enjoyed making her own Bible verse page.


Well wouldn't you know it, that while we were working on this project I could hear my older kids not using nice tones with each other, blaming and teasing. This is starting to be a bad habit around here. So, since that verse was fresh in my mind, I thought that we should apply it to our family life.

I found an old plastic jar and created a cute label using digital scrapbooking supplies from Jesse Edwards and Katie Pertiet. I used spray adhesive to glue it onto the jar. The picture above is what I hope our jar looks like at the end of the week. I placed all the colored pom poms (soft words/soft answers) in a container next to the jar. Then I encouraged all the kids to be listening for when one of their siblings used soft words/soft answer when talking with each other. This meant instead of automatically using an accusing tone with each other, or an annoyed tone, that they used a peaceful, gentle tone. Instead of blaming and accusing right away, that they took the time to talk it out nicely to find out all the facts first. If they or their siblings were trying, then they could add a colored pom pom into the jar. They could even catch me trying to use soft answers too. I'm praying that this exercise will help all of us, mom and dad too, realize how we are relating with each other with our words. That we will be more aware of the tone we use, the attitude behind our words and that our conversations with each other will be more loving.

For more Bible ideas check out:
Raising Rock Stars

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Cute! What a great idea to put the verse on the jar of the pom poms. I am always looking for applicable ways to apply scripture in a way children can understand. Thanks!!

April 28, 2010 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger Isabel said...

Great idea. We're reading the same book -- love this! :)

April 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We NEED this in our family- not just for the kiddos, but for me too! I do believe I will get on making one- IMMEDIATELY!

What a great, ENCOURAGING idea!

April 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Rusheika said...

thats a great idea... we are having issues with this as well... even me.. my patience is wearing thin as my belly expands! I think we will have to borrow this idea.

April 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

That's an awesome idea! We could use a soft jar over here!

April 29, 2010 at 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this idea! Who of us couldn't use a soft jar in their life? I just finished making my soft jar...now to get the pom poms and talk to my girls. Thanks for the idea. Love your blog so much.

April 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger Mark and Wendy said...

Love this-and will definitely make one of these this weekend! That's a big issue around here, probably b/c it's a big issue for MOM...sad how it transfers right over to them. Thanks for the practical encouragement! I'm going to link this up!

April 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

What a great idea! I might try something like this with my 3yo; she gets pretty disrespectful sometimes.

May 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, encouraging idea! I'm off to make our family's "soft Jar". Thank you for sharing!

May 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM  
Blogger Janna said...

Great Project. I was just talking about this verse this week:)

May 2, 2010 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

What a great idea! I'm going to try a figure a way to work this or something similar with my girls (4 on Friday and 2).

May 4, 2010 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Very creative. I'll be doing this lesson also. We all need this around here. I love the idea of the pom pom in a jar. Very visual which is good for the kiddos. (who am I kidding...it's good for me too!)
Nicole

May 5, 2010 at 6:00 PM  
Anonymous oh amanda {impress your kids} said...

Love it! We actually linked to you a few weeks ago--such a great idea!

a

May 20, 2010 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger L2L said...

Hopped over from Mama Jen and liking what I see, will have to stick around and check things out!!!!

June 9, 2010 at 4:32 AM  
Blogger Be Brave, Keep Going said...

I just love this idea! Going to start using it right away!

August 28, 2011 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger S Club Mama said...

I need to make myself a jar! Wonderful.

August 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home