Saturday, March 24, 2012

Go Ahead, Pick the Flowers

After months of seeing brown and white landscape during the winter, I love when little splashes of color emerge here and there brightening up my garden. Daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, and more -- spring flowers bring me joy.


My three-year old enjoys the flowers too. She has picked almost every single one of them. At first I was annoyed. I wanted to enjoy those short-lived blooms longer. I liked to see them brightening the front of my home with their colors.


But when I looked at my daughter, I saw that she was enjoying the flowers too. It was not her intent to disobey or be destructive. She thought the flowers were beautiful and wanted to share them with me. That meant so much to me for her to show me she loved me in this tangible way.


I'm not a perfect mom, and I've learned much and am still learning how to do this job. Many times over the years I have been annoyed with my children because of what they've done --messy kitchen with batter all over the counter when they made me a cake, clean laundry shoved in wrong drawers when they were really trying to help me out-- I focused on the messes and missed their hearts.


I'm thankful that God has opened my eyes to my tendency to do this to my children. I'm glad that God sees my heart and my intentions in the midst of the messes I create. He extends me grace. Why is it so hard for me to do the same to my children? I'm learning friends, I'm learning---
  • to look past the messes and see the intent
  • to look past messes and see accomplishments
  • to focus more on the state of my kids' hearts than the state of my home.

So now I can honestly say,



You Might Also Be Interested in:
Do Toddlers and Well-Ordered Days Mix?

Linking up with:


*Subscribers, don't forget to download your free I Spy cards below!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

Beautifully put!!!

I have been guilty of seeing only the mess myself, and it always breaks my heart a little after I realize, from the hurt looks, what their intention really was.

I printed two poems that remind me of this and put them on the fridge so I see them daily: http://www.turnbacktogod.com/poem-dust-if-you-must/ and http://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/12159/288.html

The funny thing is that they never fail to start conversations similar to what you are talking about. I'm guessing a lot of us are guilty of this!

March 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

Great post! I can totaly relate to you, I only see the mess & not the fun & learning that are going on at the time. I have 2 girls, 7 & 5. My 5yr old loves to pick all the flowers in our yard too! She allways brings them in to me & says "Here mommy for you!" I can enjoy them just as much inside my house as outside! My aunt once told me it's ok to let my girls make a mess, as long as they learn they have to clean up their mess! Motherhood is a learning process,& I am still far from graduating yet! GOD bless you & your family. :)

March 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne Broadhurst said...

Oooh, I hope that's how God sees my attempts at enjoying His creation! :-)

March 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger 4kids, 2 guinea pigs, 1 happy family said...

So true!
Great post.
x

March 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home