Thursday, March 15, 2012

Nursery Rhyme Stick Puppet Props

While planning our Nursery Rhyme unit, I wanted to give my girls the opportunity to practice and retell the rhymes on their own. I found that making nursery rhyme stick puppets provided the perfect opportunity for practice.

Doggie, Doggie, Where's Your Bone?
At first I wasn't sure if my girls would appreciate my puppet plan, but you know what? They loved them!


Supplies:
Wooden Dowel Rods
Wooden figures
Packing Tape
E6000 glue

I decided to keep things easy and use pre-painted wooden animals and shapes from Hobby Lobby. Obviously these only represent a few of the nursery rhymes we studied, but it was a good start.

Hey Diddle, Diddle, the Cat and the Fiddle...
My little girls knew I was making something for them and they didn't want to wait! So I took the fast route to making a stick puppet. I used packing tape to adhere the figure to the dowel rod. Quick and easy!

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
Right away they grabbed a stick and then starting singing or reciting rhymes!

Little Bo Peep or Mary Had a Little Lamb
These figures jogged their memories and gave them the opportunity to put on their own nursery rhyme play.


I store our puppet props in an oatmeal container. The girls enjoyed this so much that I will be adding additional figures in the near future. I will also be using super glue to adhere those figures to the sticks so that the props will last longer.


You can keep up with all our Nursery Rhyme activities on my Nursery Rhyme page.


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger LeeanneA said...

I really love this - it gives me an idea to create something similar for my tots! Thanks for sharing!

March 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Ticia said...

Isn't it fun when you can barely get it done before they snatch it away to play with?

March 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Carter Clan said...

These are a fabulous idea! Would you mind if I pinned it on Pinterest? Can't wait to do this with my little one.

March 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Diane Hurst said...

These stick puppets are really cute! How did you make them-- are they made from wood or cardboard or ?

April 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home