Thursday, September 8, 2011

Open-Ended Crafts

afacecraft

One thing I have been working on is having craft supplies accessible yet contained (so the baby can’t get them). After reading Playful Learning, I was inspired and challenged to do a better job at having art supplies accessible.

13487668

Of course since I do have young children I have to have the materials contained (i.e. not in a center), but I have found that using plastic shoe boxes with the snap-top handle that swings up and down to close (how’s that for a description!) are easy enough for my preschooler to open but hard enough for my 11 mo. to pry open.  I’ve been leaving a couple of the supply boxes on a shelf (that way not everything is accessible at the same time—I am still controlling it a bit) that my preschooler can reach. I didn’t even say anything about them and the next day I found Mr. Smiley sitting on the table.

afacecraft

This made me smile. Right after that my 3yr. old came along with her pair of scissors and cut it all up. Ahh, the nature of crafts in my house. It’s the process that counts—right? :)

How do you store your craft supplies? Do you have a set-up that allows open-ended craft creating? I’d love to see some ideas, as I’m still tweaking how I’d like this to work in my house.

If you are interested in learning about creating Playful Spaces in your home, you might check out Playful Learning’s e-course. I’m looking forward to gleaning lots of good ideas from the class.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Due to space constraints. I have one small box filled with gallon or 2 gallon size bags. Each bag has something different; feathers, wiggly eyes, tissue paper, popsicle sticks, etc. My two and 4 year old can open them, but my 13 month old can't. The glue, markers, crayons, scissors and such sit on the table in our school room. The boys will go pull out that box, sit at the table and create "beautiful art."

September 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

That's a good idea!

September 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger The girl who painted trees said...

I am so looking forward to that class. I have a lot of art material on a shelf - low enough that 4 yr old can reach but high enough that 2 yr old can't. However, I need to be better at having the crafty stuff available. Think I'll work on this this week.

September 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home