Sunday, September 11, 2011

Human Body: Learning About Cells

This year our local homeschool co-op group is learning about the human body using Apologia’s Exploring Creation With Human Anatomy and Physiology book. Our group is large enough that we split the age-levels: K-2nd and 3rd-6th. I am teaching the K-2nd group, so this year I will be posting what we cover in our class.

After glancing through the Apologia material, I decided that my class would be based on the book chapters so that the whole co-op was on the same topic each week, but that we would be using lots of hands-on activities and supplemental materials instead of the notebooking journal. Since I opted for my group not to have the Jr. Notebooks, I created their own notebook for them instead using this coloring book:

My First Human Body Book My First Human Body Book

Each week they will have a coloring assignment from the book above. In addition, I typed out a short review sheet for them to do at home. I’ll be sharing these just in case anyone else might find them helpful

This week we learned about cells.

cellresources

Here were my main teaching tools:

- Parts of a Cell Rap by HipScience

- Parts of a Cell Word Chart

- Parts of a Cell flashcards

cellflashcards

Using the terms from the Apologia book, I create flashcards to teach the kids the parts of the cells.

cellflashcards2

After introducing the terms, we went over the rap. I handed each child a card, and whenever they heard their card name, they would hold their card in the air. We also had to dance when listening to the rap. It just was too hard to listen and not move to a rap! :)

In my class, we had a soft-surface table. We pretended that the table was the cell, and that the soft surface was like the cytoplasm. Then I had the kids close their eyes and I hid all the cell organelles (the cards) around the room. They had to go on a hunt and find all the parts to make sure the cell worked correctly. This was a great way to incorporate review. They had to try to remember which cards where missing.

cellscoloring

We had a little extra time before meeting with the 3-6th graders, so they started working on their cell coloring page.

jellocell1

The whole co-op met together to create an edible cell.

jellocell2

Using various types of candy to represent the different cell organelles, each child was able to create a tasty cell model. (This experiment is listed in the Apologia Anatomy book)

jellocell3
These are the parts of a cell—together they do quite well—and taste good too!

Downloads:

partsofacellflashcards partsofacellrap

Words to the Parts of a Cell Rap
Parts of a Cell Flashcards
Week 1 Parts of a Cell Review Sheet

 humanbody

Linking up to:

Science Sunday

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Shannon R said...

Thank you for posting your creations. What a wonderful resource I have in your site. Found you through Pinterest! :)

September 11, 2011 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Valerie McClintick said...

So cool Maureen! WE are using My first Human Body book along with My Body too! I can totally use them thanks! We started off with SKIN, and plan on sharing about our hands on activities, I'll have to look into this blog meme, sounds interesting!!

:) Thanks!

Valerie

September 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Oh can't wait to see what you've come up with Valerie!

Shannon--so glad you stopped by! :)

September 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger V Gotts said...

We are also learning with Apologia's Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology. We are creating a lapbook in lieu of the Journal and we're having a ton of fun with it! I am excited about finding you through my friend and looking forward to what we will find next on your blog. Thank you!!

September 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger Ticia said...

I just shared this with a friend who's studying Apologia anatomy this year. She's going to love it.

I had to wait and look until I was at my computer and not my phone so I could pin this :)

September 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As always, your printables are so wonderful. I'll be adding this to my Human Body lapbook lens eventually.

September 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

I LOVE this...thanks I will be using it today!!!

February 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home