Sunday, July 11, 2010

Homeschoolers with Messy HS Rooms Unite!

I know that when some of you see the pictures that I'm going to post below, you are going to get nervous, sweat and want to come over and do an intervention with me! For my daughter's 12th birthday, I told her that she could convert my office into her own bedroom. My office was over-stuffed to begin with, but my dd and my MIL managed to pack it all up and move everything to our front room aka school room. Before all my office stuff came into the school room it was a mess. So basically I've combined two big messes into one big mess---and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. :)




Yes, this makes me sweat and nervous and feel very overwhelmed! Right now there is no way I can plan my school year or do anything creative. I really am an organized person at heart and this discourages me greatly. Thankfully I do have several friends that are going to help me go through things and brainstorm on how to make this room work for our homeschool and my office.

I "think" I would really like this unit from IKEA:
I  saw it in this room on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pip33chi/2905238443/in/pool-unclutterer
and think that with some bins it would make a huge dent in organizing the mess. The only problem is that the nearest IKEA is a little over 2 hrs. away. I just might make a road trip though! I'm having a hard time figuring out what furniture pieces/storage pieces I need for this room. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them---especially with product links or pictures!

So since I have an overwhelming need to get something in my life back in order, I headed to Staples and Wal-mart for some of their back-to-school deals. I love feeling like I'm getting organized for the new school year and I love the prices!

Next I decided that since overhauling my schoolroom/office is too big of a task, that I needed to clean up some things on my computer. I'm organizing files, printing things and creating a binder to house all my blog/online deadlines, commitments, ideas and so forth. Next is to do the same for our homeschool, but I'll tackle that one later this week. :) Oh it feels good to have something in my life organized! :)


P.S. Earlier this week Michelle from Best Toys for Toddlers asked to interview me for the blog.  I am honored to be featured there today! :) Feel free to check it out!


Advertisement

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooooooo with you! Our homeschool space is so hard to keep tidy. I love that unit from IKEA. I might just have to pick one of those up sometime soon. :)

July 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can totally relate to feeling overwhelmed with your homeschool space. I took pictures for my blog a few days ago. Rarely is it that neat. I have to homeschool in our very small dining room. So it doesn't take too long for it to become a disaster zone. I'm sure you'll have it up and running in no time. It might just end up working better for you in the long run too! :)

Good luck!

July 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We have that Shelf unit, and I LOVE IT! I highly recommend it. The boxes that fit inside are a great size, too.

July 11, 2010 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

I'd love to come help you sort it out, but my room is a disaster from summer and end of year clutter myself! Once I get some of my lesson plans worked out I'm heading in there to organize!

July 11, 2010 at 11:00 PM  
Blogger Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

Ugh, I so want that Ikea shelving unit, but my closest is in another state! Do they ship? LOL!

July 11, 2010 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger The Mom I Want To Be said...

I LOVE that ikea shelf- you can see what it did for our homeschool room: http://givinguponacleanhouse.blogspot.com/2010/06/organized-for-next-year.html

I guess I'm lucky to have an ikea 3 miles away!

Good Luck!!

July 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

hahaa, your right I would love to come over and help u organize... :) It's all about nesting for me now!! I have that ikea unit. It is very heavy I thought I could push it slowly down the steps by myself!! Needless to say it did get down the stairs and there is a nice dent in the wall and I was pretty wounded in the process.. Thankfully that great idea was between pregnancies. I am re-organizing as well and doing a couple of planning posts this month. I would love to see how your room ends up but dont forget to take care of yourself and the baby!!! :-) Happy Organizing!!

July 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger C said...

I have 2 of that very same unit you are showing from IKEA in our playroom. What a super way to organize! We have all our toys and puzzles displayed in them.

July 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Selena and Anna said...

I have that IKEA unit in white and absolutely LOVE it too!!! Target has some color bins that are made of material that fit perfectly in the holes too. We bought a few of the door and drawers to go in it as well. Go for it!!!

July 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I wish I could help, but I am right in the middle of doing the same thing.... DIGGIN OUT the school room!!!!
All I can say, is that it's just one of those things that has to be done! No matter how hard I try to ignore it. I should have taken some before pictures.... didn't think of it, or maybe I just couldn't bring myself to do it???

July 14, 2010 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

I can so relate. We recently redid our horrifyingly messy school room. Thanks to IKEA. Our nearest IKEA is almost 4 hours away. Make the drive it is worth it. The prices are great, the quality even better. Plus there's a play area for the kids and a really good restaurant. Here's our before and afters. http://prncsstefy.blogspot.com/2010/05/weekly-wrap-up-story-of-school-room.html

July 18, 2010 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

You'd be surprised what we fit into our mini-van. ROFL (Honda Odyssey). 2-79"x31" billy bookshelves, 1 41"x31" billy bookshelf, 2 57"x18" trofast units, 2 35"x17" trofast units, 1 37"x17" trofast unit, tons of drawers for them, 1 29"x13" Micke drawer unit, 2 29"x49" Micke desks, and 2 bags of red swedish fish. Plus myself, the hubby and the 2 kids.

Shew! I wished I'd have taken a picture of the loaded van now. LOL

July 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Rusheika said...

ohh! It is good to know I am not alone! LOL... now that the baby is here I am trying to chip away at the mess! The homeschool area shares space with the laundry room so it doesn't take long for the space to get out of control. We have the Ikea trofast system...which is working great for our work boxes, but I wouldn't mind that unit for all the other stuff we have...our nearest Ikea is across the sea but thankfully there is a company here that will ship in our ikea order.. its a 70% mark up but worth it when u need it!

August 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home