Friday, June 25, 2010

Read & Do: My Heart is Like a Zoo


I found the cutest book the other day while visiting the library. When I thumbed through the pages, I fell in love with the bright, simple, graphics and they screamed, "Make me!" So I did. :) I also thought that this would be a perfect craft project for my Glue Dots Summer Bonding Project. Bloggers around the net are creating summer craft projects using products from Glue Dots (Thanks Glue Dots for sending me a sample pack!) You can find even more information on this summer crafting opportunity on the Twitter Moms discussion board or on the Glue Dots Facebook page.

BOOK:
My Heart is Like A Zoo by Michael Hall The simple rhymes and bold pictures wonderful illustrate how love can be many different things, such as eager as a beaver, steady as a yak or silly as a seal.


CRAFT: Silly as a Seal and Jumpy as a Frog.
Supplies:
(Seal)
1 lime green/light green craft foam sheet
1 red craft foam sheet
1 purple craft foam sheet
1 glitter purple craft foam sheet
Mini Dot N' Go adhesive by Glue Dots
Craft Glue Dots

(Frog)
1 dark green craft foam sheet
1 light green craft foam sheet
1 large google eye
1 white or yellow craft foam sheet (for background)
Mini Dot N' Go adhesive by Glue Dots
Craft Glue Dots



What I loved about using Glue Dots for this project was that I was able to make the pieces ahead of time and create craft kits! By using the craft glue dots from the sheets, I applied the glue dot on the back of the foam pieces and left the liner on. I love that I can do this and will be creating more craft kits to have on hand.


We started off making the seal craft. I did occasionally have to help my 3yr. old peel off the liner, but by the middle of the project she had the hang of it.


We had the book open to the page we were making. We looked at the picture and talked about if the heart was over or under the large heart (working on position words). Then we would take our craft piece and do the same.


Then once we had all the pieces together, we used the Mini Dot N' Go roller to apply adhesive to the seal and stick it on the background. My 3yr. old was able to use this roller, but I did have to show her how to push down hard so that the dots stuck. She loved using the roller.

The completed craft! I love how it turned out. I have an altered clipboard in her room that we will hang this artwork on. An easy way to display crafts!


We also went ahead and put together the frog.

Another easy craft based on the book. She was so proud of both projects.

I went ahead and made a template for you. It is half the size of the project we made and will fit on a background of 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 craft foam. Sometimes that size craft foam is easier to find. If you decide to share the printable with others, please link to this post and not directly to the printable. Thanks! :) (See my printables terms of use)



------------------------
I wrote this blog post while participating in the
TwitterMoms and Glue Dots blogging contest to be eligible to receive a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

What a sweet idea! Looks like another book we will need to enjoy.

June 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just received this book (after I saw a review somewehre on mummy blogger land, I loose track where!!)

LOVE your glue dots project! How fantastic. And it is like a puzzle for the kids.

Wonderful.

Maggy, red ted art

June 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I mentioned your blog in a post today. Your projects for kids are just so awesome!

June 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks everyone! :)

June 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Charlene Juliani said...

Cute and fun project!

catching up with my stART comments.

June 29, 2010 at 3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home